[bɪ'kɒz] or [bɪ'kɔz]
(conj.) By or for the cause that; on this account that; for the reason that.
(conj.) In order that; that.
conj. . For, since, as, for the cause that, for the reason that, on this account that, inasmuch as.. On account, by reason.
SYN:Owing, consequently, accordingly
ANT:Irrespectively, independently, inconsequently, unconnectedly
adv. and conj. because of: for the reason that: on account of: for (followed by of).
- Perhaps you had better go after my friends at once, because the weather is warm, and I can not 'keep' long. 马克·吐温. 傻子出国记.
- I can't very well do it myself; because my back's so bad, and my legs are so queer. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 我们共同的朋友.
- Often, indeed, when pressed by Hortense to come, she would refuse, because Robert did not second, or but slightly seconded the request. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 雪莉.
- The family don't want her here, and they'll say it's because I've been ill, because I'm a weak old woman, that she's persuaded me. 伊迪丝·华顿. 纯真年代.
- Firstly, because I say so; and secondly, because discretion and reserve are a girl's best wisdom. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 雪莉.
- Attach a closely wound coil to a sensitive galvanometer (Fig. 237); naturally there is no deflection of the galvanometer needle, because there is no current in the wire. 伯莎M.克拉克. 科学通论.
- And then I asked him if I might come to see you; because I felt so much for his trouble and yours. 乔治·艾略特. 米德尔马契.
- We treat it simply as a privation because we are measuring it by adulthood as a fixed standard. 约翰·杜威. 民主与教育.
- I say this here for two reasons--because I hope to avoid the critical attack of the genuine Marxian specialist, and because the observation is, I believe, relevant to our subject. 沃尔特·李普曼. 政治序论.
- She had been surprised at first, because she had not thought Edmund a marrying man. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 小杜丽.
- A cocoanut shell always has a soft spot at one end because this is the provision nature has made to allow the embryo of the future tree to push its way out of the hard shell. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.
- If for a generation or so machinery has had to wait its turn in the mine, it is simply because for a time men were cheaper than machinery. 赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯. 世界史纲.
- I asked Mr. Farebrother to talk to her, because she had forbidden me--I didn't know what else to do, said Fred, apologetically. 乔治·艾略特. 米德尔马契.
- This was a class of plant which the inquirers desired to purchase outright and operate themselves, usually because of remoteness from any possible source of general supply of current. 弗兰克·刘易斯·戴尔. 爱迪生的生平和发明.
- Because, said I, his is an uncommon character, and he has resolutely kept himself outside the circle, Richard. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.
- I have called this misplaced rationality a piece of learned folly, because it shows itself most dangerously among those thinkers about politics who are divorced from action. 沃尔特·李普曼. 政治序论.
- You think so because I am a little rambling. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.
- I felt I might, without indelicacy, because the evening she dined with us she rather suggested . 伊迪丝·华顿. 纯真年代.
- I will discipline my sorrowing heart to sympathy in your joys; I will be happy, because ye are so. 玛丽·雪莱. 最后一个人.
- I have heard reputable physicians condemn a certain method of psychotherapy because it was immoral. 沃尔特·李普曼. 政治序论.
- What a wrong, to cut off the girl from the family protection and inheritance only because she had chosen a man who was poor! 乔治·艾略特. 米德尔马契.
- Yet the father must be garnished and tricked out, said the old lady, because of his deportment. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.
- Because I saw it only looking out from under the blinds of a window in the house which stood on the corner where the arc light was. 欧内斯特·海明威. 丧钟为谁而鸣.
- A party that tried to answer every conflicting interest would stand still because people were pulling in so many different directions. 沃尔特·李普曼. 政治序论.
- Because you always wanted things that wouldn't do. 乔治·艾略特. 米德尔马契.
- Because it is decidedly the case with us. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 远大前程.
- It can seldom happen that much can be spared from the circulating money of the country; because in that there can seldom be much redundancy. 亚当·斯密. 国富论.
- I was puzzled, because I could not make the glimpses of furniture I saw accord with my knowledge of any of these apartments. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 维莱特.
- I have thrown these few notes together, because the subject of them was well known to me for many years. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 匹克威克外传.
- But it was possible to part with her, because Susan remained to supply her place. 简·奥斯汀. 曼斯菲尔德庄园.