[wɪð'aʊt] or [wɪ'θaʊt]
(prep.) On or at the outside of; out of; not within; as, without doors.
(prep.) Out of the limits of; out of reach of; beyond.
(prep.) Not with; otherwise than with; in absence of, separation from, or destitution of; not with use or employment of; independently of; exclusively of; with omission; as, without labor; without damage.
(conj.) Unless; except; -- introducing a clause.
(adv.) On or art the outside; not on the inside; not within; outwardly; externally.
(adv.) Outside of the house; out of doors.
prep. . Out of, on the outside of, not within.. In the absence of, not with, independently of, exclusively of.
prep. outside or out of: beyond: not with: in absence of: not having: except: all but.—adv. on the outside: out of doors.—conj. except.—adj. Without′-door (Shak.) being out of doors.—prep. Without′en (Spens.) without.—Without book on no authority; Without distinction indiscriminately.—From without from the outside.
- I warrant you she'd go to him fast enough without. 威廉·梅克比斯·萨克雷. 名利场.
- We had walked through two armies without incident. 欧内斯特·海明威. 永别了,武器.
- Until Edison made his wonderful invention in 1877, the human race was entirely without means for preserving or passing on to posterity its own linguistic utterances or any other vocal sound. 弗兰克·刘易斯·戴尔. 爱迪生的生平和发明.
- Without heart, without interest, I could not play it at all. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 维莱特.
- He entered the front room not without blushing; for he, like many, had felt the power of this girl's face and form. 托马斯·哈代. 还乡.
- Without it the engine would have been too clumsy and slow for practical use, but with it the greatest possibilities of use appeared. 鲁伯特·萨金特·荷兰. 历史性发明.
- Livius got out of the carriage, and picked the man up, to ascertain that he was alive, as he fell without uttering a groan. 哈里特·威尔逊. 哈里特·威尔逊回忆录.
- As our visitor concluded, Holmes sprang up without a word, handed me my hat, picked his own from the table, and followed Dr. Trevelyan to the door. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯回忆录.
- Mr. Bulstrode replied without haste, but also without hesitation. 乔治·艾略特. 米德尔马契.
- At last he was happily got down without any accident, and then he began to beat Mr. Guppy with a hoop-stick in quite a frantic manner. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.
- So we were left to take leave of one another without any restraint. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 大卫·科波菲尔.
- In May, 1915, they sank the great passenger liner, the _Lusitania_, without any warning, drowning a number of American citizens. 赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯. 世界史纲.
- Presently, without preface or prelude, she said, almost in the tone of one making an accusation, Meess, in England you were a governess? 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 维莱特.
- Yes, without doubt. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.
- I felt I might, without indelicacy, because the evening she dined with us she rather suggested . 伊迪丝·华顿. 纯真年代.
- The operator had worked so mechanically that he had handled the news without the slightest knowledge of its significance. 弗兰克·刘易斯·戴尔. 爱迪生的生平和发明.
- He told me, in return, that he wondered I had arrived at my time of life, without knowing that a doctor's skin was waterproof. 威尔基·柯林斯. 月亮宝石.
- He kissed Amy as she started up to meet him, nodded to Fanny, nodded to his father, gloomed on the visitor without further recognition, and sat down. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 小杜丽.
- You can leave me whenever you like--without notice even. 戴维·赫伯特·劳伦斯. 恋爱中的女人.
- Little Dorrit opened the door from without, and they both entered. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 小杜丽.
- He sat down, a little disconcerted by my presence, I thought, and without looking at me, drew his heavy sunburnt hand across and across his upper lip. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.
- Yes, but I can't dismiss him in an instant without assigning reasons, my dear Chettam. 乔治·艾略特. 米德尔马契.
- Selden followed her, and still without speaking they seated themselves on a bench beside the fountain. 伊迪丝·华顿. 快乐之家.
- Seriously hoping that all our difficulties may be settled without the loss of another life, I subscribe myself, etc. 尤利西斯·格兰特. U．S．格兰特的个人回忆录.
- Mrs. Reed soon rallied her spirits: she shook me most soundly, she boxed both my ears, and then left me without a word. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 简·爱.
- But he came regularly every evening and sat without his coat, with his head against the wall, as though he would have helped us if he had known how. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.
- But the trouble with them is that the psychology is weak and uninformed, distorted by moral enthusiasms, and put out without any particular reference to the task of statesmanship. 沃尔特·李普曼. 政治序论.
- Shut up, you, Pilar said without looking at him. 欧内斯特·海明威. 丧钟为谁而鸣.
- Five daughters brought up at home without a governess! 简·奥斯汀. 傲慢与偏见.
- They were forest and parkland people without horses. 赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯. 世界史纲.