[ðen] or [ðɛn]
(noun.) that time; that moment; 'we will arrive before then'; 'we were friends from then on'.
(adj.) at a specific prior time; 'the then president' .
(adv.) subsequently or soon afterward (often used as sentence connectors); 'then he left'; 'go left first, then right'; 'first came lightning, then thunder'; 'we watched the late movie and then went to bed'; 'and so home and to bed'.
(adv.) at that time; 'I was young then'; 'prices were lower back then'; 'science as it was then taught'.
(adv.) in that case or as a consequence; 'if he didn't take it, then who did?'; 'keep it then if you want to'; 'the case, then, is closed'; 'you've made up your mind then?'; 'then you'll be rich'.
(adv.) At that time (referring to a time specified, either past or future).
(adv.) Soon afterward, or immediately; next; afterward.
(adv.) At another time; later; again.
(conj.) In that case; in consequence; as a consequence; therefore; for this reason.
ad. . At that time.. Afterwards, next, soon afterwards.. Hereafter, at another time, sooner or later.. Therefore, for this reason, on that account.. That time.
conj. In that case.
adv. at that time: afterward: immediately: at another time.—conj. for that reason therefore: in that case.—adj. being at that time.—n. a specific time already mentioned.—By then by that time.
- The paper was first dipped into a solution of common salt, and then wiped dry, to diffuse the salt uniformly through the substance of the paper. 弗雷德里克·科利尔·贝克维尔. 伟大的事实.
- Then you don't ask my advice,' says Podsnap. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 我们共同的朋友.
- Yes, and then--YOU know, godmother. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 我们共同的朋友.
- And then commenced a train of thought quite new to me. 埃德加·赖斯·巴勒斯. 火星公主.
- Are the Indians then gypsies? 欧内斯特·海明威. 丧钟为谁而鸣.
- Who, then, shall conduct education so that humanity may improve? 约翰·杜威. 民主与教育.
- And then let us be going. 欧内斯特·海明威. 丧钟为谁而鸣.
- We were then led up to the door, where we were directed to get down on our hands and knees with our backs toward the room we were to enter. 埃德加·赖斯·巴勒斯. 火星战神.
- I must reproach her with her faults, and then--she will throw the plates and dishes in my face! 哈里特·威尔逊. 哈里特·威尔逊回忆录.
- The peninsula of Italy was not then the smiling land of vineyards and olive orchards it has since become. 赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯. 世界史纲.
- How earnestly did she then wish that her former opinions had been more reasonable, her expressions more moderate! 简·奥斯汀. 傲慢与偏见.
- I then signed to Mr. Peggotty to remain where he was, and emerged from their shade to speak to her. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 大卫·科波菲尔.
- As yet only China knew of the Huns; there were no Turks in Western Turkestan or anywhere else then, no Tartars in the world. 赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯. 世界史纲.
- Then I remembered all at once that I had not said my prayers that morning. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 维莱特.
- By only raising my voice, and saying any thing two or three times over, she is sure to hear; but then she is used to my voice. 简·奥斯汀. 爱玛.