[huː;hʊ] or [hu]
(object.) Originally, an interrogative pronoun, later, a relative pronoun also; -- used always substantively, and either as singular or plural. See the Note under What, pron., 1. As interrogative pronouns, who and whom ask the question: What or which person or persons? Who and whom, as relative pronouns (in the sense of that), are properly used of persons (corresponding to which, as applied to things), but are sometimes, less properly and now rarely, used of animals, plants, etc. Who and whom, as compound relatives, are also used especially of persons, meaning the person that; the persons that; the one that; whosoever.
(pron.) One; any; one.
- Yet it was a hard time for sensitive, high-spirited Jo, who meant so well and had apparently done so ill. 路易莎·梅·奥尔科特. 小妇人.
- I believe that he would have come all the way had it not been that Dr. Ferrier, who lives near me, was going down by that very train. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯回忆录.
- Except one man, who got up and went out. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 双城记.
- Who, then, shall conduct education so that humanity may improve? 约翰·杜威. 民主与教育.
- And who are the devoted band, and where will he procure them? 柏拉图. 理想国.
- I saw them stop near the church and speak to the sexton's wife, who had come from the cottage, and had waited, watching us from a distance. 威尔基·柯林斯. 白衣女人.
- Kiss me, Eunice, and be a good wife to Crispin, who loves you so dearly. 弗格斯·休姆. 奇幻岛.
- There is scarcely any man alive who does not think himself meritorious for giving his neighbour five pounds. 威廉·梅克比斯·萨克雷. 名利场.
- Is it he who found the body? 查尔斯·狄更斯. 我们共同的朋友.
- At every court there were groups of ministers and secretaries who played a Machiavellian game against their foreign rivals. 赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯. 世界史纲.
- King George III, who had begun his reign in 1760, was resolved to be much more of a king than his two German predecessors. 赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯. 世界史纲.
- We should be rich men if we had 1000 pounds for every poor devil who has been done to death in that den. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯历险记.
- So, I presented Joe to Herbert, who held out his hand; but Joe backed from it, and held on by the bird's-nest. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 远大前程.
- Yes, but you won't do it, answered Laurie, who wished to make up, but felt that his outraged dignity must be appeased first. 路易莎·梅·奥尔科特. 小妇人.
- Did you ever see any one who was kind to such things? 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 雪莉.
- There is _one_ person in company who does not like to have Miss Price spoken of. 简·奥斯汀. 曼斯菲尔德庄园.
- None can imagine her ferocious cruelty who has not witnessed her daily acts for over half a year. 埃德加·赖斯·巴勒斯. 火星战神.
- IF you want that, there are plenty of women who will give it to you. 戴维·赫伯特·劳伦斯. 恋爱中的女人.
- I know better, Fred Beauclerc would answer, and yet I am fool enough to love a woman who is going mad for another man. 哈里特·威尔逊. 哈里特·威尔逊回忆录.
- Mr Sampson murmured that this was the sort of thing you might expect from one who had ever in her own family been an example and never an outrage. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 我们共同的朋友.
- You would compare them, I said, to those invalids who, having no self-restraint, will not leave off their habits of intemperance? 柏拉图. 理想国.
- It was put an end to by Mrs. Dashwood, who felt obliged to hope that he had left Mrs. Ferrars very well. 简·奥斯汀. 理智与情感.
- Where Judy Trenor led, all the world would follow; and Lily had the doomed sense of the castaway who has signalled in vain to fleeing sails. 伊迪丝·华顿. 快乐之家.
- Think you, Tars Tarkas, that John Carter will fly at the first shriek of a cowardly foe who dare not come out into the open and face a good blade? 埃德加·赖斯·巴勒斯. 火星战神.
- Astronomers and geologists and those who study physics have been able to tell us something of the origin and history of the earth. 赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯. 世界史纲.
- There is no one else, and no sound could alarm those who are in the farther wing. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯归来记.
- She is stouter, too, and altogether improved, continued Miss Rosalind, who was disposed to be very fat. 威廉·梅克比斯·萨克雷. 名利场.
- And was it you who----? 哈里特·威尔逊. 哈里特·威尔逊回忆录.
- There she satand who would have guessed how many tears she had been lately shedding? 简·奥斯汀. 爱玛.
- It is I who have been in fault: I ought to have seen that I could not afford to live in this way. 乔治·艾略特. 米德尔马契.