[weə] or [wɛr]
(pron. & conj.) Whether.
(adv.) At or in what place; hence, in what situation, position, or circumstances; -- used interrogatively.
(adv.) At or in which place; at the place in which; hence, in the case or instance in which; -- used relatively.
(adv.) To what or which place; hence, to what goal, result, or issue; whither; -- used interrogatively and relatively; as, where are you going?
(n.) Place; situation.
ad. . At which place, in which place.. At what place, in what place.
- Where's your friend? 查尔斯·狄更斯. 我们共同的朋友.
- And who are the devoted band, and where will he procure them? 柏拉图. 理想国.
- About a mile west from where I had been stopping a road comes up from the southeast, joining that from La Grange to Memphis. 尤利西斯·格兰特. U．S．格兰特的个人回忆录.
- We must begin, for Laura's sake, where there is the best chance of success, I replied. 威尔基·柯林斯. 白衣女人.
- But pride--where there is a real superiority of mind, pride will be always under good regulation. 简·奥斯汀. 傲慢与偏见.
- We were then led up to the door, where we were directed to get down on our hands and knees with our backs toward the room we were to enter. 埃德加·赖斯·巴勒斯. 火星战神.
- I then signed to Mr. Peggotty to remain where he was, and emerged from their shade to speak to her. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 大卫·科波菲尔.
- A hard-working man, and not overstrong, he would return to his home from the machine-shop where he was employed, and throw himself on the bed night after night to rest. 鲁伯特·萨金特·荷兰. 历史性发明.
- You perceive several places where it has passed across and obliterated the more shallow mark of the front one. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯归来记.
- Did she know where her husband was? 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯历险记.
- He once said that he was educated in a university where all the students belonged to families of the aristocracy; and the highest class in the university all wore little red caps. 弗兰克·刘易斯·戴尔. 爱迪生的生平和发明.
- A hob was the flat part of the open hearth where water and spirits were warmed; and the small table, at which people sat when so engaged, was called a nob. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.
- Where Judy Trenor led, all the world would follow; and Lily had the doomed sense of the castaway who has signalled in vain to fleeing sails. 伊迪丝·华顿. 快乐之家.
- Where could he get Pablo a cigar? 欧内斯特·海明威. 丧钟为谁而鸣.
- And where are we going to go when this is done? 欧内斯特·海明威. 丧钟为谁而鸣.
- I think it would be advisable in making the change to leave Hancock where he is until Warren passes him. 尤利西斯·格兰特. U．S．格兰特的个人回忆录.
- Where was the plague? 玛丽·雪莱. 最后一个人.
- Thence he pushed on to Waynesboro', where he found the enemy in force in an intrenched position, under General Early. 尤利西斯·格兰特. U．S．格兰特的个人回忆录.
- Who raised her head upon his coming in and asking: 'Where did you go, Liz? 查尔斯·狄更斯. 我们共同的朋友.
- Young lady, if my master don't fall out with me, I'll look down by the kiln by and by, where the boy will be most like, and again in the morning! 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.
- He could see a trail through the grass where horses had been led to the stream to drink and there was the fresh manure of several horses. 欧内斯特·海明威. 丧钟为谁而鸣.
- The shoes are then covered with a coat of rubber varnish, and are put into cars and run into the vulcanizing ovens, where they remain from six to seven hours at a temperature of about 275°. Edward W. Byrn. 十九世纪发明进展.
- Where's the bottle? 查尔斯·狄更斯. 我们共同的朋友.
- Where affection is reciprocal and sincere, and minds are harmonious, marriage _must_ be happy. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 雪莉.
- As for society, he was carried every other day into the hall where the boys dined, and there sociably flogged as a public warning and example. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 雾都孤儿.
- He got up in the night and I said, 'Where do you go, Pablo? 欧内斯特·海明威. 丧钟为谁而鸣.
- Where is this man? 埃德加·赖斯·巴勒斯. 火星公主.
- Because I saw it only looking out from under the blinds of a window in the house which stood on the corner where the arc light was. 欧内斯特·海明威. 丧钟为谁而鸣.
- Where's the beef and vegetables I sent home, and the pudding you promised? 路易莎·梅·奥尔科特. 小妇人.
- Where can I have it, Sam? 查尔斯·狄更斯. 匹克威克外传.