[wə(r)] or [wɚ]
(v. t. & i.) To wear. See 3d Wear.
(n.) A weir. See Weir.
(v. t.) To guard; to protect.
(-) The imperfect indicative plural, and imperfect subjunctive singular and plural, of the verb be. See Be.
(n.) A man.
(n.) A fine for slaying a man; the money value set upon a man's life; weregild.
v.i. the pl. of was used as pa.t. of be.
- Investigation of these cases, however, revealed invariably the purely fraudulent nature of all such offers, which were uniformly declined. 弗兰克·刘易斯·戴尔. 爱迪生的生平和发明.
- As shown in the original designs, Fig. 116, she is a double ender, whose sides were to be 5 feet thick. Edward W. Byrn. 十九世纪发明进展.
- It was not good for him to talk too much, and when he was silent, we were silent too. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.
- His labors, however, were interrupt ed by the death of his assistant Flemming, and by his own illness, which proved fatal in 1846, a few months before the actual discovery of Neptune. 李贝. 西洋科学史.
- His walk was soft; his voice was melancholy; his long lanky fingers were hooked like claws. 威尔基·柯林斯. 月亮宝石.
- Orders were to move cautiously with skirmishers to the front to feel for the enemy. 尤利西斯·格兰特. U．S．格兰特的个人回忆录.
- They mostly began to reign as old men, and their reigns were short, averaging less than two years each. 赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯. 世界史纲.
- I have as yet spoken as if the varieties of the same species were invariably fertile when intercrossed. 查尔斯·达尔文. 物种起源.
- But still the disappointed father held a strong lever; and Fred felt as if he were being banished with a malediction. 乔治·艾略特. 米德尔马契.
- The heart was thrilled, the mind astonished, by the power of the preacher: neither were softened. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 简·爱.
- These good people were absolutely ignorant that their land contained that which was quite as valuable as a gold-mine. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯历险记.
- The Colonel and the Inspector were awaiting us in the parlor. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯回忆录.
- The reactions were all varied in various people, but they followed a few great laws, and intrinsically there was no difference. 戴维·赫伯特·劳伦斯. 恋爱中的女人.
- They were scheming to outdo one another, to rob weaker contemporaries, to destroy rivals, so that they might for a brief interval swagger. 赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯. 世界史纲.
- The first half-hour was lost, for Fanny and Lady Bertram were together, and unless she had Fanny to herself she could hope for nothing. 简·奥斯汀. 曼斯菲尔德庄园.
- Some weeks of spare time were at my disposal, before I entered on my functions by establishing myself in the suburbs of London. 威尔基·柯林斯. 白衣女人.
- We were then led up to the door, where we were directed to get down on our hands and knees with our backs toward the room we were to enter. 埃德加·赖斯·巴勒斯. 火星战神.
- The two other were open boats of half that tonnage. 赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯. 世界史纲.
- He was always well dressed, very neat and plain, but his eyes were weak, just as mine are, and he wore tinted glasses against the glare. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯历险记.
- There were only these few words in her neatly flowing hand:-- I have told Mrs. Casaubon. 乔治·艾略特. 米德尔马契.
- But these were secondary contributory causes. 赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯. 世界史纲.
- As yet only China knew of the Huns; there were no Turks in Western Turkestan or anywhere else then, no Tartars in the world. 赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯. 世界史纲.
- But he had shut it down again, if that were so; and it looked as if it had not been raised. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.
- Mr. Beaufort's secret, people were agreed, was the way he carried things off. 伊迪丝·华顿. 纯真年代.
- The water pumps were at work again, and I am not sure that the soft-hearted Captain's eyes did not also twinkle. 威廉·梅克比斯·萨克雷. 名利场.
- And particularly, whether they were ever admitted as members in the lower senate? 乔纳森·斯威夫特. 格列佛游记.
- Mr. Batchelor's judgment and good sense were always in evidence. 弗兰克·刘易斯·戴尔. 爱迪生的生平和发明.
- The marriage was scarcely in accord with the old man's wishes, for the bandmaster's pockets were as light as his occupation. 托马斯·哈代. 还乡.
- Even the children were instructed, each to dip a wooden spoon into Mr. Micawber's pot, and pledge us in its contents. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 大卫·科波菲尔.
- The exultation and joy of the Pickwickians knew no bounds, when their patience and assiduity, their washing and scraping, were crowned with success. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 匹克威克外传.