(adv.) on one occasion; 'once I ran into her'.
(adv.) at a previous time; 'at one time he loved her'; 'her erstwhile writing'; 'she was a dancer once';.
(adv.) as soon as; 'once we are home, we can rest'.
(adv.) By limitation to the number one; for one time; not twice nor any number of times more than one.
(adv.) At some one period of time; -- used indefinitely.
(adv.) At any one time; -- often nearly equivalent to ever, if ever, or whenever; as, once kindled, it may not be quenched.
ad. . For one time.. Formerly, in former times.
n. Same as Ounce the animal.
adv. a single time: at a former time: at any time or circumstances.—n. one time.—Once and again more than once: repeatedly; Once for all once only and not again; Once in a way on one occasion only: very rarely.—At once without delay: alike: at the same time; For once on one occasion only.
- Perhaps you had better go after my friends at once, because the weather is warm, and I can not 'keep' long. 马克·吐温. 傻子出国记.
- But please to tell me at once what you have done. 乔治·艾略特. 米德尔马契.
- Dear Mr. Traddles and dear Trotwood, papa once free with honour, what could I wish for! 查尔斯·狄更斯. 大卫·科波菲尔.
- For years I had gradually weaned him from that drug mania which had threatened once to check his remarkable career. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯归来记.
- I wish, Mr. Yeobright, you could give me something to keep that once belonged to her--if you don't mind. 托马斯·哈代. 还乡.
- The energy which had at once supported him under his old sufferings and aggravated their sharpness, had been gradually restored to him. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 双城记.
- Then I remembered all at once that I had not said my prayers that morning. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 维莱特.
- The mill shall find salaries for a master and mistress, and the squire or the clothier shall give a treat once a quarter. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 雪莉.
- Let her footstep, as she comes and goes, in these pages, be like that other footstep to whose airy fall your own heart once beat time. 威尔基·柯林斯. 白衣女人.
- The idea once broached, all were impatient to put it in execution. 玛丽·雪莱. 最后一个人.
- It was a part, at once of Mrs. Sparsit's dignity and service, not to lunch. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 艰难时事.
- She put the handkerchief to her eyes once. 威廉·梅克比斯·萨克雷. 名利场.
- It seemed all at once to take the shape of an impertinence on her part; she read this meaning too in the man's eyes. 伊丽莎白·盖斯凯尔. 南方与北方.
- He once said that he was educated in a university where all the students belonged to families of the aristocracy; and the highest class in the university all wore little red caps. 弗兰克·刘易斯·戴尔. 爱迪生的生平和发明.
- We looked forward to the day when I should go out for a ride, as we had once looked forward to the day of my apprenticeship. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 远大前程.
- You know that he was once refused by McFarlane's mother? 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯归来记.
- My Lady Steyne, he said, once more will you have the goodness to go to the desk and write that card for your dinner on Friday? 威廉·梅克比斯·萨克雷. 名利场.
- I told you everything once before, and you were so good that I can't help coming to you again. 乔治·艾略特. 米德尔马契.
- Once it was so; now is man lord of the creation? 玛丽·雪莱. 最后一个人.
- I asked at once that Sigel might be relieved, and some one else put in his place. 尤利西斯·格兰特. U．S．格兰特的个人回忆录.
- I do declare once for all that it ought to be put a stop to. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 小杜丽.
- But I had once meant better than that, and I am come back to my old intention. 乔治·艾略特. 米德尔马契.
- While breakfasting he considered whether he should ride to Middlemarch at once, or wait for Lydgate's arrival. 乔治·艾略特. 米德尔马契.
- Once the grotesqueness of the situation accepted, she had seen at a glance that it was the safest in which Dorset could find himself. 伊迪丝·华顿. 快乐之家.
- I will answer any questions this once, but after to-night let us never speak of it again. 伊丽莎白·盖斯凯尔. 南方与北方.
- It was very funny, full of amusing and absurd situations; but Gould never smiled once. 弗兰克·刘易斯·戴尔. 爱迪生的生平和发明.
- He flourished back and got his cup and set it down triumphantly, and said: Just try that mixture once, Captain Duncan. 马克·吐温. 傻子出国记.
- But Jane did not once lose consciousness. 埃德加·赖斯·巴勒斯. 人猿泰山.
- I made the first civil excuse that occurred to me for leaving Mr. Gilmore, and returned at once to the house. 威尔基·柯林斯. 白衣女人.
- Do not allow a trivial misunderstanding to wither the blossoms of spring, which, once put forth and blighted, cannot be renewed. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 大卫·科波菲尔.