(pron.) Belonging or pertaining to him; -- used as a pronominal adjective or adjective pronoun; as, tell John his papers are ready; formerly used also for its, but this use is now obsolete.
(pron.) The possessive of he; as, the book is his.
pron. possessive form of he: (B.) used for its.—Hisn a contracted form of his own.
- He was undeniably a prosperous man, bore his drinking better than others bore their moderation, and, on the whole, flourished like the green bay-tree. 乔治·艾略特. 米德尔马契.
- I told his impudence that the gilt pestle and mortar was quite ornament enough; as if I was born, indeed, to be a country surgeon's wife! 威廉·梅克比斯·萨克雷. 名利场.
- For instance, if he took his supper after a hard day, to the Dead March in Saul, his food might be likely to sit heavy on him. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 我们共同的朋友.
- You have behaved very ill to me, said his lordship. 哈里特·威尔逊. 哈里特·威尔逊回忆录.
- On the strength of Darcy's regard, Bingley had the firmest reliance, and of his judgement the highest opinion. 简·奥斯汀. 傲慢与偏见.
- You ought not to have come today, she said in an altered voice; and suddenly she turned, flung her arms about him and pressed her lips to his. 伊迪丝·华顿. 纯真年代.
- His mouth was such a post-office of a mouth that he had a mechanical appearance of smiling. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 远大前程.
- But when she went away, he relapsed under the misery of his dissolution. 戴维·赫伯特·劳伦斯. 恋爱中的女人.
- Old Steiler was standing at the porch of his hotel. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯回忆录.
- The boy's eyes had lighted with pleasure as I spoke, and I saw him glance from his rusty trappings to the magnificence of my own. 埃德加·赖斯·巴勒斯. 火星战神.
- There his work was received with applause. 赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯. 世界史纲.
- Yes,' said Sam, 'and I vish they'd bring out the have-his-carcase. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 匹克威克外传.
- His labors, however, were interrupt ed by the death of his assistant Flemming, and by his own illness, which proved fatal in 1846, a few months before the actual discovery of Neptune. 李贝. 西洋科学史.
- His right extended to the back-water up the ravine opening into the Cumberland south of the village. 尤利西斯·格兰特. U．S．格兰特的个人回忆录.
- His walk was soft; his voice was melancholy; his long lanky fingers were hooked like claws. 威尔基·柯林斯. 月亮宝石.
- His first United States patent, No. 174,465, was granted March 7, 1876, and his second January 30, 1877, No. 186,787. Edward W. Byrn. 十九世纪发明进展.
- No, she said softly, laughing at his sudden quickness. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 雪莉.
- His manner appeared to have altered strangely in the interval since I had last seen him. 威尔基·柯林斯. 白衣女人.
- Mr. Bumble wiped from his forehead the perspiration which his walk had engendered, glanced complacently at the cocked hat, and smiled. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 雾都孤儿.
- He made that brief reply warmly, dropping his hand on the table while he spoke, and turning towards us again. 威尔基·柯林斯. 白衣女人.
- Himself has hitherto sufficed to the toil, and the toil draws near its close: his glorious sun hastens to its setting. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 简·爱.
- You needn't, if you don't like, ma'am,' was his answer. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 我们共同的朋友.
- For years I had gradually weaned him from that drug mania which had threatened once to check his remarkable career. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯归来记.
- Why, the man was weary of you, and would have jilted you, but that Dobbin forced him to keep his word. 威廉·梅克比斯·萨克雷. 名利场.
- He fixed his vivid eyes on Archer as he lit another cigarette. 伊迪丝·华顿. 纯真年代.
- Hence, indeed, his position as a senator was not a little useful to him. 威廉·梅克比斯·萨克雷. 名利场.
- He thought of Miss Ophelia's letter to his Kentucky friends, and would pray earnestly that God would send him deliverance. 哈丽叶特·比切·斯托. 汤姆叔叔的小屋.
- On the second day he found his wife and Sir Percival whispering together quite familiar, close under the vestry of the church. 威尔基·柯林斯. 白衣女人.
- The lad only answered by turning his cynical young face, half-arch, half-truculent, towards the paternal chair. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 雪莉.
- He took my chin in his large hand and turned up my face to have a look at me by the light of the candle. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 远大前程.