[wʊd;wəd] or [wʊd]
(imp.) of Will
(v. t.) Commonly used as an auxiliary verb, either in the past tense or in the conditional or optative present. See 2d & 3d Will.
(n.) See 2d Weld.
pa.t. of will.—adj. Would′-be aspiring trying or merely professing to be.—n. a vain pretender.
- Being merely sheltered by others would not promote growth. 约翰·杜威. 民主与教育.
- Will was not quite contented, thinking that he would apparently have been of more importance if he had been disliked. 乔治·艾略特. 米德尔马契.
- Would to heaven I had never seen it! 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯归来记.
- It was generally believed that there would be a flurry; that some of the extreme Southern States would go so far as to pass ordinances of secession. 尤利西斯·格兰特. U．S．格兰特的个人回忆录.
- I could tell you a story about that same uncle, gentlemen, that would rather surprise you. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 匹克威克外传.
- I believe that he would have come all the way had it not been that Dr. Ferrier, who lives near me, was going down by that very train. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯回忆录.
- What would you advise me to do? 简·奥斯汀. 爱玛.
- Why, the man was weary of you, and would have jilted you, but that Dobbin forced him to keep his word. 威廉·梅克比斯·萨克雷. 名利场.
- He thought of Miss Ophelia's letter to his Kentucky friends, and would pray earnestly that God would send him deliverance. 哈丽叶特·比切·斯托. 汤姆叔叔的小屋.
- Legree, in a fury, swore she should be put to field service, if she would not be peaceable. 哈丽叶特·比切·斯托. 汤姆叔叔的小屋.
- Bois-Guilbert made an effort to suppress his rising scorn and indignation, the expression of which, he was well aware, would have little availed him. 沃尔特·司各特. 艾凡赫.
- And the bulk of your fortune would be laid out in annuities on the authors or their heirs. 简·奥斯汀. 理智与情感.
- Often, indeed, when pressed by Hortense to come, she would refuse, because Robert did not second, or but slightly seconded the request. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 雪莉.
- He would have taken it before now, I believe, but for Fledgeby. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 我们共同的朋友.
- The ice, you see, was broken between us--and I thought I would take care, on the next occasion, that Mr. Betteredge was out of the way. 威尔基·柯林斯. 月亮宝石.
- Their waste-paper baskets 'd be fairly brimming, and papers falling over on the floor. 伊迪丝·华顿. 快乐之家.
- When 'd Mas'r ever get his dinner, if I vas to spend all my time a washin' and a puttin' up dishes? 哈丽叶特·比切·斯托. 汤姆叔叔的小屋.
- Anybody 'd be a fool 't would. 哈丽叶特·比切·斯托. 汤姆叔叔的小屋.
- Why, how much 'd dat ar be? 哈丽叶特·比切·斯托. 汤姆叔叔的小屋.
- Some buys up these yer old critturs, and ses there's a sight more wear in 'em than a body 'd think, said the man, reflectively. 哈丽叶特·比切·斯托. 汤姆叔叔的小屋.
- So 'd I, a heap, said Jake. 哈丽叶特·比切·斯托. 汤姆叔叔的小屋.
- Cause, said Sam, I'd rather be 'clined to 'magine that Lizy 'd take de dirt road, bein' it's the least travelled. 哈丽叶特·比切·斯托. 汤姆叔叔的小屋.