[ənd;(ə)n;ænd] or [ənd,ən,ænd]
(conj.) A particle which expresses the relation of connection or addition. It is used to conjoin a word with a word, a clause with a clause, or a sentence with a sentence.
(conj.) In order to; -- used instead of the infinitival to, especially after try, come, go.
(conj.) It is sometimes, in old songs, a mere expletive.
(conj.) If; though. See An, conj.
conj. signifies addition or repetition and is used to connect words and sentences to introduce a consequence &c.—in M. E. (but not A.S.) it was used for if and often also with added if as in Luke xii. 45. An became common for and in this sense as often in Shakespeare.—It sometimes expresses emphatically a difference in quality between things of the same class as 'there are friends ... and friends.'
- He was undeniably a prosperous man, bore his drinking better than others bore their moderation, and, on the whole, flourished like the green bay-tree. 乔治·艾略特. 米德尔马契.
- She had always a new bonnet on, and flowers bloomed perpetually in it, or else magnificent curling ostrich feathers, soft and snowy as camellias. 威廉·梅克比斯·萨克雷. 名利场.
- I told his impudence that the gilt pestle and mortar was quite ornament enough; as if I was born, indeed, to be a country surgeon's wife! 威廉·梅克比斯·萨克雷. 名利场.
- Of the numerous other telegraph instruments that have been invented since 1837, that of Mr. Morse is in most general use, especially on the Continent and in America. 弗雷德里克·科利尔·贝克维尔. 伟大的事实.
- The talk was very often political or sociological, and interesting, curiously anarchistic. 戴维·赫伯特·劳伦斯. 恋爱中的女人.
- Yet it was a hard time for sensitive, high-spirited Jo, who meant so well and had apparently done so ill. 路易莎·梅·奥尔科特. 小妇人.
- Perhaps you had better go after my friends at once, because the weather is warm, and I can not 'keep' long. 马克·吐温. 傻子出国记.
- On the strength of Darcy's regard, Bingley had the firmest reliance, and of his judgement the highest opinion. 简·奥斯汀. 傲慢与偏见.
- You ought not to have come today, she said in an altered voice; and suddenly she turned, flung her arms about him and pressed her lips to his. 伊迪丝·华顿. 纯真年代.
- Mr. Godfrey had some brandy and soda-water, Mr. Franklin took nothing. 威尔基·柯林斯. 月亮宝石.
- How we shall conciliate this little creature, said Mrs. Bretton to me, I don't know: she tastes nothing, and by her looks, she has not slept. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 维莱特.
- Pubsey and Co. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 我们共同的朋友.
- I had never before seen Mr. Bruff pay her such devoted attention, and look at her with such marked respect. 威尔基·柯林斯. 月亮宝石.
- The paper was first dipped into a solution of common salt, and then wiped dry, to diffuse the salt uniformly through the substance of the paper. 弗雷德里克·科利尔·贝克维尔. 伟大的事实.
- She had been all sweetness and kindness, always thankful, always gentle, even when Mrs. Clapp lost her own temper and pressed for the rent. 威廉·梅克比斯·萨克雷. 名利场.
- Bring out your vouchers, and don't talk Jerusalem palaver. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 我们共同的朋友.
- Miss Vye's family is a good one on her mother's side; and her father was a romantic wanderer--a sort of Greek Ulysses. 托马斯·哈代. 还乡.
- Reason is wholly inactive, and can never be the source of so active a principle as conscience, or a sense of morals. 戴维·休谟. 人性论.
- Thyself and thy horses. 欧内斯特·海明威. 丧钟为谁而鸣.
- He bucked her out along the shore Qf the lake and as soon as she was reasonable they went on back along the trail. 欧内斯特·海明威. 丧钟为谁而鸣.
- When to-morrow comes, and he knows that I am in the house, do you think---- She stopped again, and looked at me very earnestly. 威尔基·柯林斯. 月亮宝石.
- Animal and vegetable matter buried in the depth of the earth sometimes undergoes natural distillation, and as a result gas is formed. 伯莎M.克拉克. 科学通论.
- Remember what I told you on the moor--and ask yourself what my assertion is worth. 威尔基·柯林斯. 月亮宝石.
- Yes, and then--YOU know, godmother. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 我们共同的朋友.
- The boy's eyes had lighted with pleasure as I spoke, and I saw him glance from his rusty trappings to the magnificence of my own. 埃德加·赖斯·巴勒斯. 火星战神.
- We have been on the look-out for him, and there was some idea that he had got away to America. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯归来记.
- But how about the foresight and the moral retrogression? 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯历险记.
- The Unquenchables had done their best to be worthy of the name, for like elves they had worked by night and conjured up a comical surprise. 路易莎·梅·奥尔科特. 小妇人.
- I have, and she has refused me, said Caliphronas sullenly. 弗格斯·休姆. 奇幻岛.
- They have a kind of hard flints, which, by grinding against other stones, they form into instruments, that serve instead of wedges, axes, and hammers. 乔纳森·斯威夫特. 格列佛游记.