(noun.) 100 at equal 1 kip in Laos.
(prep.) Primarily, this word expresses the relations of presence, nearness in place or time, or direction toward; as, at the ninth hour; at the house; to aim at a mark. It is less definite than in or on; at the house may be in or near the house. From this original import are derived all the various uses of at.
(prep.) A relation of proximity to, or of presence in or on, something; as, at the door; at your shop; at home; at school; at hand; at sea and on land.
(prep.) The relation of some state or condition; as, at war; at peace; at ease; at your service; at fault; at liberty; at risk; at disadvantage.
(prep.) The relation of some employment or action; occupied with; as, at engraving; at husbandry; at play; at work; at meat (eating); except at puns.
(prep.) The relation of a point or position in a series, or of degree, rate, or value; as, with the thermometer at 80¡; goods sold at a cheap price; a country estimated at 10,000 square miles; life is short at the longest.
(prep.) The relations of time, age, or order; as, at ten o'clock; at twenty-one; at once; at first.
(prep.) The relations of source, occasion, reason, consequence, or effect; as, at the sight; at this news; merry at anything; at this declaration; at his command; to demand, require, receive, deserve, endure at your hands.
(prep.) Relation of direction toward an object or end; as, look at it; to point at one; to aim at a mark; to throw, strike, shoot, wink, mock, laugh at any one.
prep. denoting presence nearness or relation. Often used elliptically as in 'At him good dog.'
- Perhaps you had better go after my friends at once, because the weather is warm, and I can not 'keep' long. 马克·吐温. 傻子出国记.
- I had never before seen Mr. Bruff pay her such devoted attention, and look at her with such marked respect. 威尔基·柯林斯. 月亮宝石.
- But please to tell me at once what you have done. 乔治·艾略特. 米德尔马契.
- Old Steiler was standing at the porch of his hotel. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯回忆录.
- Mr. Wopsle in a comprehensive black cloak, being descried entering at the turnpike, the gravedigger was admonished in a friendly way, Look out! 查尔斯·狄更斯. 远大前程.
- When to-morrow comes, and he knows that I am in the house, do you think---- She stopped again, and looked at me very earnestly. 威尔基·柯林斯. 月亮宝石.
- It was a thing to look at. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.
- No, she said softly, laughing at his sudden quickness. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 雪莉.
- Come, come, I'll write you a cheque,' said the little man; and down he sat at the table for that purpose. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 匹克威克外传.
- Mr. Bumble wiped from his forehead the perspiration which his walk had engendered, glanced complacently at the cocked hat, and smiled. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 雾都孤儿.
- You made a quiet little round game of it, among a family group, and you played it out at leisure. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 大卫·科波菲尔.
- He took my chin in his large hand and turned up my face to have a look at me by the light of the candle. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 远大前程.
- They took her at her word. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 雪莉.
- Do you mean to join us at dinner? 威尔基·柯林斯. 白衣女人.
- She could not answer me, nor could she look at me. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 雪莉.