[æn;ən] or [ən,æn]
(-) This word is properly an adjective, but is commonly called the indefinite article. It is used before nouns of the singular number only, and signifies one, or any, but somewhat less emphatically. In such expressions as "twice an hour," "once an age," a shilling an ounce (see 2d A, 2), it has a distributive force, and is equivalent to each, every.
(conj.) If; -- a word used by old English authors.
art. . One, any, some.. Each, every.
adj. one: the indefinite article used before words beginning with the sound of a vowel.
- I have something beyond this, but I will call it a defect, not an endowment, if it leads me to misery, while ye are happy. 玛丽·雪莱. 最后一个人.
- You ought not to have come today, she said in an altered voice; and suddenly she turned, flung her arms about him and pressed her lips to his. 伊迪丝·华顿. 纯真年代.
- The first known application of the kind was made by Mr. Murdoch, an engineer in the employment of Messrs. 弗雷德里克·科利尔·贝克维尔. 伟大的事实.
- Davy was an eloquent, enthusiastic, forceful speaker. 鲁伯特·萨金特·荷兰. 历史性发明.
- There was an absence of all lady-like restraint in her language and manner most painful to see. 威尔基·柯林斯. 月亮宝石.
- Her lover was no longer to her an exciting man whom many women strove for, and herself could only retain by striving with them. 托马斯·哈代. 还乡.
- Bois-Guilbert made an effort to suppress his rising scorn and indignation, the expression of which, he was well aware, would have little availed him. 沃尔特·司各特. 艾凡赫.
- So old an art, and so great and continuous a need for its products necessarily must have resulted in much development and progress. Edward W. Byrn. 十九世纪发明进展.
- I believe I could make an independent fortune in a few years if I devoted myself exclusively to portraits, so great is the desire for good portraits in the different country towns. 鲁伯特·萨金特·荷兰. 历史性发明.
- Well, you know, Standish, every dose you take is an experiment-an experiment, you know, said Mr. Brooke, nodding towards the lawyer. 乔治·艾略特. 米德尔马契.
- The case has assumed such an extraordinary aspect since Sergeant Cuff's time, that you may revive his interest in the inquiry. 威尔基·柯林斯. 月亮宝石.
- In this place is an altar dedicated to St. Dimas, the penitent thief. 马克·吐温. 傻子出国记.
- For those days this was an enormous sum. 赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯. 世界史纲.
- Then, collecting himself, he added in his usual tone, And what may it be your pleasure to want at so early an hour with the poor Jew? 沃尔特·司各特. 艾凡赫.
- I am an impoverished wretch--the very gaberdine I wear is borrowed from Reuben of Tadcaster. 沃尔特·司各特. 艾凡赫.
- Mr. Godfrey had some brandy and soda-water, Mr. Franklin took nothing. 威尔基·柯林斯. 月亮宝石.
- It was generally believed that there would be a flurry; that some of the extreme Southern States would go so far as to pass ordinances of secession. 尤利西斯·格兰特. U．S．格兰特的个人回忆录.
- We have been on the look-out for him, and there was some idea that he had got away to America. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯归来记.
- You will have my sketches, some time or other, to look ator my tour to reador my poem. 简·奥斯汀. 爱玛.
- I say, said Legree, stamping and whistling to the dogs, wake up, some of you, and keep me company! 哈丽叶特·比切·斯托. 汤姆叔叔的小屋.
- Women are certainly quicker in some things than men. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 维莱特.
- Is there some one in La Granja capable of this? 欧内斯特·海明威. 丧钟为谁而鸣.
- She stood looking at him in gloomy, heavy silence, for some time. 戴维·赫伯特·劳伦斯. 恋爱中的女人.
- Some weeks of spare time were at my disposal, before I entered on my functions by establishing myself in the suburbs of London. 威尔基·柯林斯. 白衣女人.
- It may be questioned whether some of the present pedagogical interest in the matter of values of studies is not either excessive or else too narrow. 约翰·杜威. 民主与教育.
- We can here consider only a few cases; of these, some of the most difficult to explain are presented by fish. 查尔斯·达尔文. 物种起源.
- Mr. Bell quite startled me when he said, some idea of the kind--' 'Mr. Bell! 伊丽莎白·盖斯凯尔. 南方与北方.
- There are some points which are as dark as ever. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯归来记.
- Mrs. Bulstrode did not wish to go nearer to the facts than in the phrase make some amends; knowing that her husband must understand her. 乔治·艾略特. 米德尔马契.
- Except bills of exchange, and some other mercantile bills, all other deeds, bonds, and contracts, are subject to a stamp duty. 亚当·斯密. 国富论.