(pron.) The neuter pronoun of the third person, corresponding to the masculine pronoun he and the feminine she, and having the same plural (they, their or theirs, them).
(pron.) As a substance for any noun of the neuter gender; as, here is the book, take it home.
(pron.) As a demonstrative, especially at the beginning of a sentence, pointing to that which is about to be stated, named, or mentioned, or referring to that which apparent or well known; as, I saw it was John.
(pron.) As an indefinite nominative for a impersonal verb; as, it snows; it rains.
(pron.) As a substitute for such general terms as, the state of affairs, the condition of things, and the like; as, how is it with the sick man?
(pron.) As an indefinite object after some intransitive verbs, or after a substantive used humorously as a verb; as, to foot it (i. e., to walk).
pron. the thing spoken of.
- She had always a new bonnet on, and flowers bloomed perpetually in it, or else magnificent curling ostrich feathers, soft and snowy as camellias. 威廉·梅克比斯·萨克雷. 名利场.
- Would to heaven I had never seen it! 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯归来记.
- It was already dark when we reached it. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯归来记.
- Yet it was a hard time for sensitive, high-spirited Jo, who meant so well and had apparently done so ill. 路易莎·梅·奥尔科特. 小妇人.
- I have something beyond this, but I will call it a defect, not an endowment, if it leads me to misery, while ye are happy. 玛丽·雪莱. 最后一个人.
- Father's a sweeter singer than ever; you'd never have forgotten it, if you'd aheard him just now. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 小杜丽.
- I wired to Bristol for it last night. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯历险记.
- I am also to take it as a matter of fact that the proposal to withdraw from the engagement came, in the first instance, from YOU? 威尔基·柯林斯. 月亮宝石.
- It was generally believed that there would be a flurry; that some of the extreme Southern States would go so far as to pass ordinances of secession. 尤利西斯·格兰特. U．S．格兰特的个人回忆录.
- My, it might be a description of Watson! 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯归来记.
- Himself has hitherto sufficed to the toil, and the toil draws near its close: his glorious sun hastens to its setting. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 简·爱.
- But this base attempt to injure Mr. Pickwick recoiled upon the head of its calumnious author. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 匹克威克外传.
- Until Edison made his wonderful invention in 1877, the human race was entirely without means for preserving or passing on to posterity its own linguistic utterances or any other vocal sound. 弗兰克·刘易斯·戴尔. 爱迪生的生平和发明.
- So old an art, and so great and continuous a need for its products necessarily must have resulted in much development and progress. Edward W. Byrn. 十九世纪发明进展.
- When the iron parts with its carbon it loses its fluidity and becomes plastic and coherent, and is formed into balls called _blooms_. Edward W. Byrn. 十九世纪发明进展.
- A short walk brought us to a secluded road fringed with pleasant houses, each standing in its own grounds. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯归来记.
- Even the children were instructed, each to dip a wooden spoon into Mr. Micawber's pot, and pledge us in its contents. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 大卫·科波菲尔.
- Most of its issues are still undecided among Christians to this day. 赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯. 世界史纲.
- Heaven was cloudless, and grand with the quiver of its living fires. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 维莱特.
- Notwithstanding its simple action, its structure is complicated by a large amount of adding mechanism. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.
- They are purging more than the epsom salts in this epoch. 欧内斯特·海明威. 丧钟为谁而鸣.
- They possess significance only as movements toward something away from what is now going on. 约翰·杜威. 民主与教育.
- He bucked her out along the shore Qf the lake and as soon as she was reasonable they went on back along the trail. 欧内斯特·海明威. 丧钟为谁而鸣.
- The Unquenchables had done their best to be worthy of the name, for like elves they had worked by night and conjured up a comical surprise. 路易莎·梅·奥尔科特. 小妇人.
- They have a kind of hard flints, which, by grinding against other stones, they form into instruments, that serve instead of wedges, axes, and hammers. 乔纳森·斯威夫特. 格列佛游记.
- Yes,' said Sam, 'and I vish they'd bring out the have-his-carcase. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 匹克威克外传.
- In textile fabrics they have never been surpassed. 赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯. 世界史纲.
- They mostly began to reign as old men, and their reigns were short, averaging less than two years each. 赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯. 世界史纲.
- They are a smaller horde than the Tharks but much more ferocious. 埃德加·赖斯·巴勒斯. 火星公主.
- They reached a curtained door, behind which sounded lovely music. 路易莎·梅·奥尔科特. 小妇人.