(pron. & a.) As a demonstrative pronoun, this denotes something that is present or near in place or time, or something just mentioned, or that is just about to be mentioned.
(pron. & a.) As an adjective, this has the same demonstrative force as the pronoun, but is followed by a noun; as, this book; this way to town.
demons. pron. or adj. denoting a person or thing near just mentioned or about to be mentioned: (B.) the last past:—pl. These.—n. This′ness héŽcity.
- They are purging more than the epsom salts in this epoch. 欧内斯特·海明威. 丧钟为谁而鸣.
- I have something beyond this, but I will call it a defect, not an endowment, if it leads me to misery, while ye are happy. 玛丽·雪莱. 最后一个人.
- How we shall conciliate this little creature, said Mrs. Bretton to me, I don't know: she tastes nothing, and by her looks, she has not slept. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 维莱特.
- You naughty, wicked child,--you've been stealing this! 哈丽叶特·比切·斯托. 汤姆叔叔的小屋.
- There's money in this case, Watson, if there is nothing else. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯历险记.
- What a fine town but how the _buena gente_, the good people of that town, have suffered in this war. 欧内斯特·海明威. 丧钟为谁而鸣.
- There is more in it than thou dost guess, Conrade; thy simplicity is no match for this deep abyss of wickedness. 沃尔特·司各特. 艾凡赫.
- Tis just this, sir. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 我们共同的朋友.
- And after this cry and strife the sun may rise and see him worsted. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 雪莉.
- I know this in much the same way, I suppose. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 小杜丽.
- But this does not mean that men will have become homeless and all adrift. 赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯. 世界史纲.
- But this base attempt to injure Mr. Pickwick recoiled upon the head of its calumnious author. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 匹克威克外传.
- His merits in this respect resemble those of Kepler in astronomy. 李贝. 西洋科学史.
- Is there some one in La Granja capable of this? 欧内斯特·海明威. 丧钟为谁而鸣.
- This was done with effect, as is proved by the Confederate reports. 尤利西斯·格兰特. U．S．格兰特的个人回忆录.
- Investigation of these cases, however, revealed invariably the purely fraudulent nature of all such offers, which were uniformly declined. 弗兰克·刘易斯·戴尔. 爱迪生的生平和发明.
- And what do you call these little fellows, ma'am? 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.
- These good people were absolutely ignorant that their land contained that which was quite as valuable as a gold-mine. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯历险记.
- Not a word had been spoken during the present session on any of these topics. 玛丽·雪莱. 最后一个人.
- How she had to work and thrum at these duets and sonatas in the Street, before they appeared in public in the Square! 威廉·梅克比斯·萨克雷. 名利场.
- There were only these few words in her neatly flowing hand:-- I have told Mrs. Casaubon. 乔治·艾略特. 米德尔马契.
- From these ends is extended the spindle of Necessity, on which all the revolutions turn. 柏拉图. 理想国.
- Mrs. Bardell, the plaintiff in the action, is within these walls, Sir. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 匹克威克外传.
- But these were secondary contributory causes. 赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯. 世界史纲.
- We can here consider only a few cases; of these, some of the most difficult to explain are presented by fish. 查尔斯·达尔文. 物种起源.
- These are my holidays. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 我们共同的朋友.
- I suppose it's smarter to use these rocks and build a good blind for this gun than to make a proper emplacement for it. 欧内斯特·海明威. 丧钟为谁而鸣.
- Let her footstep, as she comes and goes, in these pages, be like that other footstep to whose airy fall your own heart once beat time. 威尔基·柯林斯. 白衣女人.
- I say that these monstrous laws of yours will bring a curse upon the land--God will not let such wickedness endure. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯归来记.
- One of these compounds, namely, chloride of lime, is the almost universal bleaching agent of commerce. 伯莎M.克拉克. 科学通论.