(-) Possessive form of the pronoun it. See It.
poss. pron. the possessive of it.
- Himself has hitherto sufficed to the toil, and the toil draws near its close: his glorious sun hastens to its setting. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 简·爱.
- But this base attempt to injure Mr. Pickwick recoiled upon the head of its calumnious author. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 匹克威克外传.
- Until Edison made his wonderful invention in 1877, the human race was entirely without means for preserving or passing on to posterity its own linguistic utterances or any other vocal sound. 弗兰克·刘易斯·戴尔. 爱迪生的生平和发明.
- So old an art, and so great and continuous a need for its products necessarily must have resulted in much development and progress. Edward W. Byrn. 十九世纪发明进展.
- When the iron parts with its carbon it loses its fluidity and becomes plastic and coherent, and is formed into balls called _blooms_. Edward W. Byrn. 十九世纪发明进展.
- A short walk brought us to a secluded road fringed with pleasant houses, each standing in its own grounds. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯归来记.
- Even the children were instructed, each to dip a wooden spoon into Mr. Micawber's pot, and pledge us in its contents. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 大卫·科波菲尔.
- Most of its issues are still undecided among Christians to this day. 赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯. 世界史纲.
- Heaven was cloudless, and grand with the quiver of its living fires. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 维莱特.
- Notwithstanding its simple action, its structure is complicated by a large amount of adding mechanism. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.
- While there are several distinct parts of this device, each having its individual function, they may be considered as a whole under the general term of the escapement. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.
- Yes; there it lies on its side, dried up; except for its plumage, very like myself. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 我们共同的朋友.
- Its object (in your English opinion) is anarchy and revolution. 威尔基·柯林斯. 白衣女人.
- A cocoanut shell always has a soft spot at one end because this is the provision nature has made to allow the embryo of the future tree to push its way out of the hard shell. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.
- If for a generation or so machinery has had to wait its turn in the mine, it is simply because for a time men were cheaper than machinery. 赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯. 世界史纲.
- He was undeniably a prosperous man, bore his drinking better than others bore their moderation, and, on the whole, flourished like the green bay-tree. 乔治·艾略特. 米德尔马契.
- The Unquenchables had done their best to be worthy of the name, for like elves they had worked by night and conjured up a comical surprise. 路易莎·梅·奥尔科特. 小妇人.
- They mostly began to reign as old men, and their reigns were short, averaging less than two years each. 赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯. 世界史纲.
- People will pay as freely to gratify one passion as another, their resentment as their pride. 本杰明·富兰克林. 富兰克林自传.
- These good people were absolutely ignorant that their land contained that which was quite as valuable as a gold-mine. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯历险记.
- And the bulk of your fortune would be laid out in annuities on the authors or their heirs. 简·奥斯汀. 理智与情感.
- The energy which had at once supported him under his old sufferings and aggravated their sharpness, had been gradually restored to him. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 双城记.
- I quickened my pace, and, passing among them, wondering at their looks, went hurriedly in. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 大卫·科波菲尔.
- Nor has he--except for their one great gift to him. 托马斯·哈代. 还乡.
- I then signed to Mr. Peggotty to remain where he was, and emerged from their shade to speak to her. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 大卫·科波菲尔.
- Traders and other undertakers may, no doubt with great propriety, carry on a very considerable part of their projects with borrowed money. 亚当·斯密. 国富论.
- The exultation and joy of the Pickwickians knew no bounds, when their patience and assiduity, their washing and scraping, were crowned with success. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 匹克威克外传.
- At every court there were groups of ministers and secretaries who played a Machiavellian game against their foreign rivals. 赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯. 世界史纲.
- But in spite of their efforts to be as cheery as larks, the flutelike voices did not seem to chord as well as usual, and all felt out of tune. 路易莎·梅·奥尔科特. 小妇人.
- But though the Mongols were victorious at Liegnitz, they did not continue their drive westward. 赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯. 世界史纲.