[ɑː] or [ɑr]
(noun.) a unit of surface area equal to 100 square meters.
(-) The present indicative plural of the substantive verb to be; but etymologically a different word from be, or was. Am, art, are, and is, all come from the root as.
(n.) The unit of superficial measure, being a square of which each side is ten meters in length; 100 square meters, or about 119.6 square yards.
n. the unit of the French land measure containing 100 sq. metres = 119.6 English sq. yards.
- They are purging more than the epsom salts in this epoch. 欧内斯特·海明威. 丧钟为谁而鸣.
- I have something beyond this, but I will call it a defect, not an endowment, if it leads me to misery, while ye are happy. 玛丽·雪莱. 最后一个人.
- Eglow, Eglonitz--here we are, Egria. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯历险记.
- Are the Indians then gypsies? 欧内斯特·海明威. 丧钟为谁而鸣.
- Sixteen shillings sterling, we are told by Mr Byron, was the price of a good horse in the capital of Chili. 亚当·斯密. 国富论.
- There are many others that have to be considered with it. 赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯. 世界史纲.
- They are a smaller horde than the Tharks but much more ferocious. 埃德加·赖斯·巴勒斯. 火星公主.
- But are we men's equals, or are we not? 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 雪莉.
- I suppose you are the only independent prince in the ?gean? 弗格斯·休姆. 奇幻岛.
- And who are the devoted band, and where will he procure them? 柏拉图. 理想国.
- They are very much better, John. 鲁伯特·萨金特·荷兰. 历史性发明.
- Which means, I suppose, that you are not quite clear about your case? 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯归来记.
- Women are certainly quicker in some things than men. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 维莱特.
- But men of your character are mostly so independent. 托马斯·哈代. 还乡.
- I can't very well do it myself; because my back's so bad, and my legs are so queer. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 我们共同的朋友.