(imp.) of Be
(v.) The first and third persons singular of the verb be, in the indicative mood, preterit (imperfect) tense; as, I was; he was.
used as pa.t. of be.
- He was undeniably a prosperous man, bore his drinking better than others bore their moderation, and, on the whole, flourished like the green bay-tree. 乔治·艾略特. 米德尔马契.
- I told his impudence that the gilt pestle and mortar was quite ornament enough; as if I was born, indeed, to be a country surgeon's wife! 威廉·梅克比斯·萨克雷. 名利场.
- Will was not quite contented, thinking that he would apparently have been of more importance if he had been disliked. 乔治·艾略特. 米德尔马契.
- The talk was very often political or sociological, and interesting, curiously anarchistic. 戴维·赫伯特·劳伦斯. 恋爱中的女人.
- It was already dark when we reached it. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯归来记.
- Yet it was a hard time for sensitive, high-spirited Jo, who meant so well and had apparently done so ill. 路易莎·梅·奥尔科特. 小妇人.
- The tribe was a big family; the nation a group of tribal families; a household often contained hundreds of people. 赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯. 世界史纲.
- His mouth was such a post-office of a mouth that he had a mechanical appearance of smiling. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 远大前程.
- The paper was first dipped into a solution of common salt, and then wiped dry, to diffuse the salt uniformly through the substance of the paper. 弗雷德里克·科利尔·贝克维尔. 伟大的事实.
- Miss Vye's family is a good one on her mother's side; and her father was a romantic wanderer--a sort of Greek Ulysses. 托马斯·哈代. 还乡.
- Old Steiler was standing at the porch of his hotel. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯回忆录.
- It was generally believed that there would be a flurry; that some of the extreme Southern States would go so far as to pass ordinances of secession. 尤利西斯·格兰特. U．S．格兰特的个人回忆录.
- Mr. Wopsle in a comprehensive black cloak, being descried entering at the turnpike, the gravedigger was admonished in a friendly way, Look out! 查尔斯·狄更斯. 远大前程.
- He bucked her out along the shore Qf the lake and as soon as she was reasonable they went on back along the trail. 欧内斯特·海明威. 丧钟为谁而鸣.
- We have been on the look-out for him, and there was some idea that he had got away to America. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯归来记.
- There his work was received with applause. 赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯. 世界史纲.
- In each bladder was a small quantity of dried peas, or little pebbles, as I was afterwards informed. 乔纳森·斯威夫特. 格列佛游记.
- It was not good for him to talk too much, and when he was silent, we were silent too. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.
- The table was of the usual European style --cushions dead and twice as high as the balls; the cues in bad repair. 马克·吐温. 傻子出国记.
- It was a thing to look at. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.
- His walk was soft; his voice was melancholy; his long lanky fingers were hooked like claws. 威尔基·柯林斯. 月亮宝石.
- That depends,' said Mrs. Bardell, approaching the duster very near to Mr. Pickwick's elbow which was planted on the table. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 匹克威克外传.
- I believe that he would have come all the way had it not been that Dr. Ferrier, who lives near me, was going down by that very train. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯回忆录.
- His first United States patent, No. 174,465, was granted March 7, 1876, and his second January 30, 1877, No. 186,787. Edward W. Byrn. 十九世纪发明进展.
- The porter lit it again, and I asked if that was all the light the clerk sent. 马克·吐温. 傻子出国记.
- Sixteen shillings sterling, we are told by Mr Byron, was the price of a good horse in the capital of Chili. 亚当·斯密. 国富论.
- A departure was early made in the matter of strengthening the ribs of oak to better meet the strains from the rough seas. 威廉·亨利·杜利特. 世纪发明.
- It was very small, very dark, very ugly, very incommodious. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 双城记.
- You needn't, if you don't like, ma'am,' was his answer. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 我们共同的朋友.
- It was late in the day before the whole inscription was erased. 威尔基·柯林斯. 白衣女人.