[kəd;kʊd] or [kʊd]
(imp.) of Can
(imp.) Was, should be, or would be, able, capable, or susceptible. Used as an auxiliary, in the past tense or in the conditional present.
pa.t. of Can.
- I could tell you a story about that same uncle, gentlemen, that would rather surprise you. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 匹克威克外传.
- Miss Havisham sat listening (or it seemed so, for I could not see her face), but still made no answer. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 远大前程.
- Night also closed around; and when I could hardly see the dark mountains, I felt still more gloomily. 玛丽·雪莱. 弗兰肯斯坦.
- Dear Mr. Traddles and dear Trotwood, papa once free with honour, what could I wish for! 查尔斯·狄更斯. 大卫·科波菲尔.
- Yes, but such care could have been furnished by any one of us. 欧内斯特·海明威. 丧钟为谁而鸣.
- I wish, Mr. Yeobright, you could give me something to keep that once belonged to her--if you don't mind. 托马斯·哈代. 还乡.
- He could not tell me that; he saw me, and over my shoulder he saw the man. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 远大前程.
- Her lover was no longer to her an exciting man whom many women strove for, and herself could only retain by striving with them. 托马斯·哈代. 还乡.
- He knew how to blow any sort of bridge that you could name and he had blown them of all sizes and constructions. 欧内斯特·海明威. 丧钟为谁而鸣.
- She could not answer me, nor could she look at me. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 雪莉.
- Mrs. Bennet could certainly spare you for another fortnight. 简·奥斯汀. 傲慢与偏见.
- He could not deny this, and indeed was very reasonable throughout. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 远大前程.
- The first half-hour was lost, for Fanny and Lady Bertram were together, and unless she had Fanny to herself she could hope for nothing. 简·奥斯汀. 曼斯菲尔德庄园.
- I believe I could make an independent fortune in a few years if I devoted myself exclusively to portraits, so great is the desire for good portraits in the different country towns. 鲁伯特·萨金特·荷兰. 历史性发明.
- Without heart, without interest, I could not play it at all. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 维莱特.
- He _could not_ walk on, till daylight came again; and here he stretched himself close to the wall--to undergo new torture. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 雾都孤儿.
- And that third person could only have come in through the window. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯回忆录.
- But as Elizabeth could not receive comfort from any such expectation, she made no answer. 简·奥斯汀. 傲慢与偏见.
- If God would give me back my children, then I could pray. 哈丽叶特·比切·斯托. 汤姆叔叔的小屋.
- Love covers a multitude of sins, and of whom could you ask more freely than of him? 路易莎·梅·奥尔科特. 小妇人.
- She had provided a plentiful dinner for them; she wished she could know that they had been allowed to eat it. 简·奥斯汀. 爱玛.
- Nothing could be more precise, exact, and orderly than Greenleaf. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.
- The weight of old Sabor was immense, and when she braced her huge paws nothing less than Tantor, the elephant, himself, could have budged her. 埃德加·赖斯·巴勒斯. 人猿泰山.
- His father could not live the week out. 戴维·赫伯特·劳伦斯. 恋爱中的女人.
- Expressions of incredulity and surprise, which he could not repress, interrupted me several times before I had done. 威尔基·柯林斯. 白衣女人.
- Southey spoke of him as a miraculous young man, at whose talents he could only wonder. 李贝. 西洋科学史.
- Although I had heard it with my own ears I could not believe it. 埃德加·赖斯·巴勒斯. 火星公主.
- I would like to know if it could not be possible to change the name of that tractor factory. 欧内斯特·海明威. 丧钟为谁而鸣.
- In the darkness which had now fallen none could tell but that he had really finished me. 埃德加·赖斯·巴勒斯. 火星公主.
- Where could he get Pablo a cigar? 欧内斯特·海明威. 丧钟为谁而鸣.