(v. i.) The third person singular of the substantive verb be, in the indicative mood, present tense; as, he is; he is a man. See Be.
- As shown in the original designs, Fig. 116, she is a double ender, whose sides were to be 5 feet thick. Edward W. Byrn. 十九世纪发明进展.
- Of the numerous other telegraph instruments that have been invented since 1837, that of Mr. Morse is in most general use, especially on the Continent and in America. 弗雷德里克·科利尔·贝克维尔. 伟大的事实.
- Your circle is rather different from ours. 乔治·艾略特. 米德尔马契.
- Perhaps you had better go after my friends at once, because the weather is warm, and I can not 'keep' long. 马克·吐温. 傻子出国记.
- Miss Vye's family is a good one on her mother's side; and her father was a romantic wanderer--a sort of Greek Ulysses. 托马斯·哈代. 还乡.
- Reason is wholly inactive, and can never be the source of so active a principle as conscience, or a sense of morals. 戴维·休谟. 人性论.
- They possess significance only as movements toward something away from what is now going on. 约翰·杜威. 民主与教育.
- Here is a card turned up. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 雪莉.
- Animal and vegetable matter buried in the depth of the earth sometimes undergoes natural distillation, and as a result gas is formed. 伯莎M.克拉克. 科学通论.
- Remember what I told you on the moor--and ask yourself what my assertion is worth. 威尔基·柯林斯. 月亮宝石.
- Marriage is a taming thing. 乔治·艾略特. 米德尔马契.
- WINKLE [The above is a manly and handsome acknowledgment of past misdemeanors. 路易莎·梅·奥尔科特. 小妇人.
- We went to the 'commissionaire' of the hotel--I don't know what a 'commissionaire' is, but that is the man we went to--and told him we wanted a guide. 马克·吐温. 傻子出国记.
- There's money in this case, Watson, if there is nothing else. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯历险记.
- May I ask how old he is, ma'am? 托马斯·哈代. 还乡.
- Wiley is another case of the creative mind harassed by the routineers. 沃尔特·李普曼. 政治序论.
- There is more in it than thou dost guess, Conrade; thy simplicity is no match for this deep abyss of wickedness. 沃尔特·司各特. 艾凡赫.
- Upon my soul it is uncommon good! 查尔斯·狄更斯. 我们共同的朋友.
- One sees very little about it in the newspapers and popular magazines, in spite of the fact that it is the keystone, so to speak, of the motion-picture industry. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.
- Sometimes, Eustacia, I think it is a judgment upon you. 托马斯·哈代. 还乡.
- Can we suppose that he is ignorant of antiquity, and therefore has recourse to invention? 柏拉图. 理想国.
- That is, in the long run. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 大卫·科波菲尔.
- I like it the way it is. 欧内斯特·海明威. 永别了,武器.
- The understanding of the place of theory in life is a comparatively new one. 沃尔特·李普曼. 政治序论.
- He, the noble, the warlike, the great in every quality that can adorn the mind and person of man; he is fitted to be the Protector of England. 玛丽·雪莱. 最后一个人.
- There is something terribly appalling in our situation, yet my courage and hopes do not desert me. 玛丽·雪莱. 弗兰肯斯坦.
- Oh, Providence is kind! 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 雪莉.
- What I mean is, Lizzie, that I am a mere impertinent piece of conceit, and you shame me. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 我们共同的朋友.
- We must begin, for Laura's sake, where there is the best chance of success, I replied. 威尔基·柯林斯. 白衣女人.
- All Russia now is a huge experiment in that dictatorship (August, 1920). 赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯. 世界史纲.