(conj.) In case that; granting, allowing, or supposing that; -- introducing a condition or supposition.
(conj.) Whether; -- in dependent questions.
conj. . Suppose that, admitting that, allowing that.. Whether, whether or not.
conj. an expression of doubt; whether: in case that: supposing that.—As if as it would be if.
- I told his impudence that the gilt pestle and mortar was quite ornament enough; as if I was born, indeed, to be a country surgeon's wife! 威廉·梅克比斯·萨克雷. 名利场.
- Will was not quite contented, thinking that he would apparently have been of more importance if he had been disliked. 乔治·艾略特. 米德尔马契.
- For instance, if he took his supper after a hard day, to the Dead March in Saul, his food might be likely to sit heavy on him. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 我们共同的朋友.
- I have something beyond this, but I will call it a defect, not an endowment, if it leads me to misery, while ye are happy. 玛丽·雪莱. 最后一个人.
- Father's a sweeter singer than ever; you'd never have forgotten it, if you'd aheard him just now. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 小杜丽.
- Which of them had a step so quiet, a hand so gentle, but I should have heard or felt her, if she had approached or touched me in a day-sleep? 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 维莱特.
- There's money in this case, Watson, if there is nothing else. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯历险记.
- Certainly, if you wish it. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯历险记.
- The porter lit it again, and I asked if that was all the light the clerk sent. 马克·吐温. 傻子出国记.
- You needn't, if you don't like, ma'am,' was his answer. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 我们共同的朋友.
- You'll hit something next time, if you look sharp. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 匹克威克外传.
- If I _am_ missed, it will appear. 简·奥斯汀. 曼斯菲尔德庄园.
- I have as yet spoken as if the varieties of the same species were invariably fertile when intercrossed. 查尔斯·达尔文. 物种起源.
- I wish, Mr. Yeobright, you could give me something to keep that once belonged to her--if you don't mind. 托马斯·哈代. 还乡.
- But still the disappointed father held a strong lever; and Fred felt as if he were being banished with a malediction. 乔治·艾略特. 米德尔马契.
- Legree, in a fury, swore she should be put to field service, if she would not be peaceable. 哈丽叶特·比切·斯托. 汤姆叔叔的小屋.
- Your stepson, if Mr. Rigg Featherstone was he, is here no longer. 乔治·艾略特. 米德尔马契.
- I believe I could make an independent fortune in a few years if I devoted myself exclusively to portraits, so great is the desire for good portraits in the different country towns. 鲁伯特·萨金特·荷兰. 历史性发明.
- If it is possible I will return to the Abruzzi. 欧内斯特·海明威. 永别了,武器.
- I'll beat 'em, if it cost me a thousand guineas. 威廉·梅克比斯·萨克雷. 名利场.
- But he had shut it down again, if that were so; and it looked as if it had not been raised. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.
- What else can be the consequence, said Herbert, in explanation, if he will cut the cheese? 查尔斯·狄更斯. 远大前程.
- I have a heart to be stabbed in or shot in, I have no doubt, said Estella, and of course if it ceased to beat I should cease to be. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 远大前程.
- And then I asked him if I might come to see you; because I felt so much for his trouble and yours. 乔治·艾略特. 米德尔马契.
- If you would engage a front room and purchase the necessaries for the night, I may have time to make a few inquiries. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯归来记.
- If God would give me back my children, then I could pray. 哈丽叶特·比切·斯托. 汤姆叔叔的小屋.
- It looks as if the old man's spirit had found rest at last; don't it? 查尔斯·狄更斯. 我们共同的朋友.
- But if you have followed recent events so closely you must have read about Lord St. Simon and his wedding? 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯历险记.
- You know, I'm a stranger here, so perhaps I'm not so quick at understanding what you mean as if I'd lived all my life at Milton. 伊丽莎白·盖斯凯尔. 南方与北方.
- We should be rich men if we had 1000 pounds for every poor devil who has been done to death in that den. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯历险记.