[frɒm;frəm] or [frəm]
(prep.) Out of the neighborhood of; lessening or losing proximity to; leaving behind; by reason of; out of; by aid of; -- used whenever departure, setting out, commencement of action, being, state, occurrence, etc., or procedure, emanation, absence, separation, etc., are to be expressed. It is construed with, and indicates, the point of space or time at which the action, state, etc., are regarded as setting out or beginning; also, less frequently, the source, the cause, the occasion, out of which anything proceeds; -- the aritithesis and correlative of to; as, it, is one hundred miles from Boston to Springfield; he took his sword from his side; light proceeds from the sun; separate the coarse wool from the fine; men have all sprung from Adam, and often go from good to bad, and from bad to worse; the merit of an action depends on the principle from which it proceeds; men judge of facts from personal knowledge, or from testimony.
prep. forth: out of as from a source: away: at a distance: springing out of: by reason of.
- Your circle is rather different from ours. 乔治·艾略特. 米德尔马契.
- They possess significance only as movements toward something away from what is now going on. 约翰·杜威. 民主与教育.
- I am also to take it as a matter of fact that the proposal to withdraw from the engagement came, in the first instance, from YOU? 威尔基·柯林斯. 月亮宝石.
- Pray Heaven that I am going away from, have compassion on my uncle! 查尔斯·狄更斯. 大卫·科波菲尔.
- The boy's eyes had lighted with pleasure as I spoke, and I saw him glance from his rusty trappings to the magnificence of my own. 埃德加·赖斯·巴勒斯. 火星战神.
- But not so easily did Elinor recover from the alarm into which it had thrown her. 简·奥斯汀. 理智与情感.
- A departure was early made in the matter of strengthening the ribs of oak to better meet the strains from the rough seas. 威廉·亨利·杜利特. 世纪发明.
- Mr. Bumble wiped from his forehead the perspiration which his walk had engendered, glanced complacently at the cocked hat, and smiled. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 雾都孤儿.
- For years I had gradually weaned him from that drug mania which had threatened once to check his remarkable career. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯归来记.
- The vestry was larger than I should have supposed it to be, judging from the outside only. 威尔基·柯林斯. 白衣女人.
- I have nothing to hide from you, gentlemen, said he. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯归来记.
- About a mile west from where I had been stopping a road comes up from the southeast, joining that from La Grange to Memphis. 尤利西斯·格兰特. U．S．格兰特的个人回忆录.
- I have my sort of life apart from yours. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 维莱特.
- We retired from the debate which had followed on his nomination: we, his nominators, mortified; he dispirited to excess. 玛丽·雪莱. 最后一个人.
- What more can you expect from me, sir? 威尔基·柯林斯. 月亮宝石.
- Dating from three o'clock yesterday. 简·奥斯汀. 爱玛.
- It is curious that my mother, too, ran away from her family, but not for the sake of her husband. 乔治·艾略特. 米德尔马契.
- Odessa is about twenty hours' run from Sebastopol, and is the most northerly port in the Black Sea. 马克·吐温. 傻子出国记.
- He had not read far when he rested his head upon his two hands--to hide his face from me. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.
- I saw them stop near the church and speak to the sexton's wife, who had come from the cottage, and had waited, watching us from a distance. 威尔基·柯林斯. 白衣女人.
- From these ends is extended the spindle of Necessity, on which all the revolutions turn. 柏拉图. 理想国.
- That she had chosen to move away from him in this moment of her trouble made everything harder to say, but he must absolutely go on. 乔治·艾略特. 米德尔马契.
- We did not go very far along the road, for Holmes stopped the instant that the curve hid us from the landlord's view. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯归来记.
- The message was from D'Arnot. 埃德加·赖斯·巴勒斯. 人猿泰山.
- I then signed to Mr. Peggotty to remain where he was, and emerged from their shade to speak to her. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 大卫·科波菲尔.
- Such is the process by which the youth passes from the necessary pleasures to the unnecessary. 柏拉图. 理想国.
- A struggle for existence inevitably follows from the high rate at which all organic beings tend to increase. 查尔斯·达尔文. 物种起源.
- I find from Riderhood and you together, that there are suspicions against both men, and I'm not going to take upon myself to decide betwixt them. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 我们共同的朋友.
- This principle we derive from experience, and is the source of most of our philosophical reasonings. 戴维·休谟. 人性论.
- Every vestige of the gentler thoughts which had filled her mind hardly a minute since seemed to be swept from it now. 威尔基·柯林斯. 白衣女人.