['graɪndɪŋ] or ['ɡraɪndɪŋ]
(noun.) a harsh and strident sound (as of the grinding of gears).
(noun.) material resulting from the process of grinding; 'vegetable grindings clogged the drain'.
(noun.) the wearing down of rock particles by friction due to water or wind or ice.
(p. pr. & vb. n.) of Grind
(a. & n.) from Grind.
- They have a kind of hard flints, which, by grinding against other stones, they form into instruments, that serve instead of wedges, axes, and hammers. 乔纳森·斯威夫特. 格列佛游记.
- One of these consists of the crushing and grinding machinery, and the other of the long kilns. 弗兰克·刘易斯·戴尔. 爱迪生的生平和发明.
- The pulp was laid by hand upon moulds made of parallel strands of coarse brass wire; and the making of the pulp by grinding wood and treating it chemically to soften it was experimental. 威廉·亨利·杜利特. 世纪发明.
- The table is then pushed under a huge grinding machine and the slate surface is made plane, as nearly perfect as human ingenuity can make it. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.
- I catch him coming on post, again pass him as unaware of his existence, and again he undergoes grinding torments. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 我们共同的朋友.
- These chunks are then run through grinding machines, which reduce the chicle to a coarse meal. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.
- The diamond is the hardest known substance in the world, cutting and grinding all other known hard things, but itself only cut and ground by its mates. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.
- Near the tumblers are the grinding wheels, upon which are ground off the rough edges and the castings put into shape for the machine shop. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.
- An Italian was grinding an organ before the shop, and a miserable little shrivelled monkey was sitting on the instrument. 威尔基·柯林斯. 白衣女人.
- There were women grinding dried plantain in crude stone mortars, while others were fashioning cakes from the powdered flour. 埃德加·赖斯·巴勒斯. 人猿泰山.
- When the chicle arrives at one of the chewing-gum factories it is immediately turned over to the grinding department. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.
- Several hours later I heard the truck ahead of us grinding into gear. 欧内斯特·海明威. 永别了,武器.
- The best fine grinding-machines that it was then possible to obtain were so inefficient as to involve a loss of 82 per cent. 弗兰克·刘易斯·戴尔. 爱迪生的生平和发明.
- The fine grinding of cement clinker is distinctively Edisonian in both origin and application. 弗兰克·刘易斯·戴尔. 爱迪生的生平和发明.
- Or a cider mill in the grinding, or bread fresh from the oven? 欧内斯特·海明威. 丧钟为谁而鸣.