['ɪntʊ;'ɪntə] or [ˈɪntu]
(prep.) To the inside of; within. It is used in a variety of applications.
(prep.) Expressing entrance, or a passing from the outside of a thing to its interior parts; -- following verbs expressing motion; as, come into the house; go into the church; one stream falls or runs into another; water enters into the fine vessels of plants.
(prep.) Expressing penetration beyond the outside or surface, or access to the inside, or contents; as, to look into a letter or book; to look into an apartment.
(prep.) Indicating insertion; as, to infuse more spirit or animation into a composition.
(prep.) Denoting inclusion; as, put these ideas into other words.
(prep.) Indicating the passing of a thing from one form, condition, or state to another; as, compound substances may be resolved into others which are more simple; ice is convertible into water, and water into vapor; men are more easily drawn than forced into compliance; we may reduce many distinct substances into one mass; men are led by evidence into belief of truth, and are often enticed into the commission of crimes'into; she burst into tears; children are sometimes frightened into fits; all persons are liable to be seduced into error and folly.
prep. noting passage inwards: noting the passage of a thing from one state to another: (B.) often used for unto.
- The paper was first dipped into a solution of common salt, and then wiped dry, to diffuse the salt uniformly through the substance of the paper. 弗雷德里克·科利尔·贝克维尔. 伟大的事实.
- They have a kind of hard flints, which, by grinding against other stones, they form into instruments, that serve instead of wedges, axes, and hammers. 乔纳森·斯威夫特. 格列佛游记.
- His right extended to the back-water up the ravine opening into the Cumberland south of the village. 尤利西斯·格兰特. U．S．格兰特的个人回忆录.
- But not so easily did Elinor recover from the alarm into which it had thrown her. 简·奥斯汀. 理智与情感.
- Let them turn into mechanisms, let them. 戴维·赫伯特·劳伦斯. 恋爱中的女人.
- Go back as far as you will into the vague past, there was always a Damascus. 马克·吐温. 傻子出国记.
- But when they came to the town into Frances Street, the girl stopped a minute, and said, 'Yo'll not forget yo're to come and see us. 伊丽莎白·盖斯凯尔. 南方与北方.
- Don't be afraid of me: you needn't squeeze yourself back into your corner like that. 伊迪丝·华顿. 纯真年代.
- It sent her into a strange, convulsed anger, to be thwarted. 戴维·赫伯特·劳伦斯. 恋爱中的女人.
- You passed out quickly into the passage, and left the door open. 威尔基·柯林斯. 月亮宝石.
- When the iron parts with its carbon it loses its fluidity and becomes plastic and coherent, and is formed into balls called _blooms_. Edward W. Byrn. 十九世纪发明进展.
- Why, my dear lad, I am even now courting the Nine, and turning Aristophanes into good English verse. 弗格斯·休姆. 奇幻岛.
- Meantime, watch and pray that you enter not into temptation: the spirit, I trust, is willing, but the flesh, I see, is weak. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 简·爱.
- My next words, as true as the good God is above us, will put my life into your hands. 威尔基·柯林斯. 白衣女人.
- Even the children were instructed, each to dip a wooden spoon into Mr. Micawber's pot, and pledge us in its contents. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 大卫·科波菲尔.
- As the glare of day mellowed into twilight, we looked down upon a picture which is celebrated all over the world. 马克·吐温. 傻子出国记.
- It ended in my moving into the house next Lady-day, and starting in practice on very much the same conditions as he had suggested. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯回忆录.
- Being delivered into the charge of the ma?tresse, I was led through a long narrow passage into a foreign kitchen, very clean but very strange. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 维莱特.
- It has only just rained into them. 托马斯·哈代. 还乡.
- There, I found my mother, very pale and with red eyes: into whose arms I ran, and begged her pardon from my suffering soul. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 大卫·科波菲尔.
- A constitution of the Japanese type came into existence in 1909, making China a limited monarchy. 赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯. 世界史纲.
- I soon fell into the company of some Dutch sailors belonging to the Amboyna, of Amsterdam, a stout ship of 450 tons. 乔纳森·斯威夫特. 格列佛游记.
- The pure nitrogen then can be pumped into the fixation ovens. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.
- By degrees the anarchy finds a way into private houses, and ends by getting among the animals and infecting them. 柏拉图. 理想国.
- In connection with the adoption of this lubricating system there occurred another instance of his knowledge of materials and intuitive insight into the nature of things. 弗兰克·刘易斯·戴尔. 爱迪生的生平和发明.
- It had a pale ruddy sea-bottom, with black crabs and sea-weed moving sinuously under a transparent sea, that passed into flamy ruddiness above. 戴维·赫伯特·劳伦斯. 恋爱中的女人.
- The boiler was tubular, and the exhaust steam was carried into the chimney by a pipe in front of the smoke stack as shown. Edward W. Byrn. 十九世纪发明进展.
- In translating him into the language of modern thought, we might insensibly lose the spirit of ancient philosophy. 柏拉图. 理想国.
- Thus rumour thrives in the capital, and will not go down into Lincolnshire. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.
- Why should I mind saying I want to get into society? 伊迪丝·华顿. 快乐之家.