[ɪn'venʃ(ə)n] or [ɪn'vɛnʃən]
(noun.) the act of inventing.
(noun.) a creation (a new device or process) resulting from study and experimentation.
(noun.) the creation of something in the mind.
(n.) The act of finding out or inventing; contrivance or construction of that which has not before existed; as, the invention of logarithms; the invention of the art of printing.
(n.) That which is invented; an original contrivance or construction; a device; as, this fable was the invention of Esop; that falsehood was her own invention.
(n.) Thought; idea.
(n.) A fabrication to deceive; a fiction; a forgery; a falsehood.
(n.) The faculty of inventing; imaginative faculty; skill or ingenuity in contriving anything new; as, a man of invention.
(n.) The exercise of the imagination in selecting and treating a theme, or more commonly in contriving the arrangement of a piece, or the method of presenting its parts.
n. . Inventing, origination, creation.. Contrivance, device, design.. Ingenuity, power of inventing.. Fabrication, forgery, fiction, coinage.
- Can we suppose that he is ignorant of antiquity, and therefore has recourse to invention? 柏拉图. 理想国.
- Until Edison made his wonderful invention in 1877, the human race was entirely without means for preserving or passing on to posterity its own linguistic utterances or any other vocal sound. 弗兰克·刘易斯·戴尔. 爱迪生的生平和发明.
- It was not, however, till the invention of telegraphs that anything approaching to the means of holding regular communication by signals was attained. 弗雷德里克·科利尔·贝克维尔. 伟大的事实.
- This invention is practically a gift to the workingmen of the world and their families. 弗兰克·刘易斯·戴尔. 爱迪生的生平和发明.
- Then it was that I worked out my first invention, and necessity was certainly the mother of it. 鲁伯特·萨金特·荷兰. 历史性发明.
- He filed an application for a patent and entered into a conspiracy to 'swear back' of the date of my invention, so as to deprive me of it. 弗兰克·刘易斯·戴尔. 爱迪生的生平和发明.
- Before the invention of the art of printing, a scholar and a beggar seem to have been terms very nearly synonymous. 亚当·斯密. 国富论.
- He succeeded, where Taft failed, in preventing that drought of invention which officialism brings. 沃尔特·李普曼. 政治序论.
- This was the invention of Joseph Hurd, of Mass. Edward W. Byrn. 十九世纪发明进展.
- A nation bent upon a policy of social invention would make its tools an incident. 沃尔特·李普曼. 政治序论.
- The Wrights’ system of balance, the great original feature of their invention, is attained by what is called the warping of the wings. 鲁伯特·萨金特·荷兰. 历史性发明.
- He wrote an essay on his invention, and circulated it among his friends and teachers. 鲁伯特·萨金特·荷兰. 历史性发明.
- The practical use of the invention when turned to the heavenly bodies served to confirm the truth of the discovery. 威廉·亨利·杜利特. 世纪发明.
- And furthermore, that in practically every case the actual patented invention followed from one to a dozen or more gradually developing forms of the same idea. 弗兰克·刘易斯·戴尔. 爱迪生的生平和发明.
- From that time until July, 1878, his time and attention day and night were almost completely absorbed by the excitement caused by the invention and exhibition of the machine. 弗兰克·刘易斯·戴尔. 爱迪生的生平和发明.
- One of the most important of the early inventions in the textile art was the _cotton gin_. Edward W. Byrn. 十九世纪发明进展.
- So that the progress of future inventions depends on the outcome of the great economic, industrial, and social battles which are now looming on the pathway of the future. 威廉·亨利·杜利特. 世纪发明.
- Specifications had been drawn, and I had signed and sworn to the application for patents for these seventy-eight inventions, and naturally I supposed they had been filed in the regular way. 弗兰克·刘易斯·戴尔. 爱迪生的生平和发明.
- Some of Edison's most remarkable inventions are revealed in a number of interesting patents relating to the duplication of phonograph records. 弗兰克·刘易斯·戴尔. 爱迪生的生平和发明.
- All these desirable results have been accomplished whenever the new inventions of importance have been used. 威廉·亨利·杜利特. 世纪发明.
- As to the effect of modern inventions on wearing apparel, it is not apparent that they were necessary to supply the wardrobes of the rich. 威廉·亨利·杜利特. 世纪发明.
- Discovery, research, inquiry in new lines, inventions, finally came to be either the social fashion, or in some degree tolerable. 约翰·杜威. 民主与教育.
- Indeed, without this tireless minutiae, and methodical, searching spirit, it would have been practically impossible to have produced many of the most important of these inventions. 弗兰克·刘易斯·戴尔. 爱迪生的生平和发明.
- Inventions and discoveries in the field of surgery relate not only to instrumentalities but processes. 威廉·亨利·杜利特. 世纪发明.
- It is the constructive, creative power which raises man above the level of the beast and enables him to devise and fashion wonderful inventions. 伯莎M.克拉克. 科学通论.
- We have seen, in treating of safes and locks, how burglars keep pace with the latest inventions to protect property by the use of dynamite and nitro-glycerine explosions. 威廉·亨利·杜利特. 世纪发明.
- The goings on of Aspasia were of course a fruitful vineyard for the inventions of the street. 赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯. 世界史纲.
- The onward flow of inventions may be interrupted, if not materially stayed, by the cessation of some of the causes and incentives which now give them life. 威廉·亨利·杜利特. 世纪发明.
- Space permits the submission of but a few observations and suggestions on these points:---- _Necessity_ is still the mother of inventions, but not of all of them. 威廉·亨利·杜利特. 世纪发明.
- With the coming of the machine inventions and the new industrial and social ideas of the eighteenth century came an almost sudden new appreciation of the value of time. 威廉·亨利·杜利特. 世纪发明.