[ɪn'sted] or [ɪn'stɛd]
(adv.) In the place or room; -- usually followed by of.
(adv.) Equivalent; equal to; -- usually with of.
ad. In lieu, in the room, in the stead, in the place.
adv. in the stead place or room of.
- They have a kind of hard flints, which, by grinding against other stones, they form into instruments, that serve instead of wedges, axes, and hammers. 乔纳森·斯威夫特. 格列佛游记.
- No, I have nothing to give you instead, he said, sitting up and turning so that he faced her. 伊迪丝·华顿. 快乐之家.
- He gets worse instead of better, I think,' said the elder lady. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 雾都孤儿.
- Instead she insisted that he accept, and, indeed, take her with him. 埃德加·赖斯·巴勒斯. 人猿泰山.
- At immense personal sacrifice I followed the dictates of my own ingenuity, my own humanity, my own caution, and took her identity instead. 威尔基·柯林斯. 白衣女人.
- But instead of narrowing the scope of politics, to avoid it, the only sensible thing to do is to invent methods which will allow needs and problems and group interests avenues into politics. 沃尔特·李普曼. 政治序论.
- Instead he let him remain in his dungeon in the Bastille, where he died in 1589. 鲁伯特·萨金特·荷兰. 历史性发明.
- Instead of it, a new supreme court of judicature was established, consisting of a chief justice and three judges, to be appointed by the crown. 亚当·斯密. 国富论.
- I accordingly assembled my troop, and proposed to them this retrograde movement, instead of the continuation of our journey to Auxerre. 玛丽·雪莱. 最后一个人.
- Stephenson laid down new rails at Killingworth with half-lap joints, or extending over each other for a certain distance at the ends, instead of the butt joints that were formerly used. 鲁伯特·萨金特·荷兰. 历史性发明.
- Instead of letting go he drew her closer to him. 托马斯·哈代. 还乡.
- One would think we were going into danger, the way you talk, said Roylands impatiently, instead of a pleasant cruise in Greek waters. 弗格斯·休姆. 奇幻岛.
- But instead, he crossed the lawn and turned toward the box-garden. 伊迪丝·华顿. 纯真年代.
- As if you had anything to make you unhappy, instead of everything to make you happy, you ungrateful heart! 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.
- I should have preferred writing my report, instead of communicating it by word of mouth. 威尔基·柯林斯. 月亮宝石.
- Instead her eyes warned me to beware the sleeping figures that surrounded her. 埃德加·赖斯·巴勒斯. 火星战神.
- It seemed to Fred that if Mr. Farebrother had had a beak and talons instead of his very capable tongue, his mode of attack could hardly be more cruel. 乔治·艾略特. 米德尔马契.
- Instead, he walked toward the bench, and, sinking down upon it, remained lost in deep thought for hours. 埃德加·赖斯·巴勒斯. 火星战神.
- Instead he grasped his friend's arm and hastened him forward in the direction of the cabin. 埃德加·赖斯·巴勒斯. 人猿泰山.
- I naturally inquired why he was not there too, instead of pacing the streets by himself? 查尔斯·狄更斯. 大卫·科波菲尔.
- Instead of applying the test of human need, they apply a verbal and logical consistency. 沃尔特·李普曼. 政治序论.
- Now the operator has to adjust himself to his machine, instead of his tool to his own purposes. 约翰·杜威. 民主与教育.
- Subsequent changes involved the rotating of the cylinder instead of the wheels and many modifications in the form of the wheels. 威廉·亨利·杜利特. 世纪发明.
- Donnez-moi la main, said he, and the spite and jealousy melted out of his face, and a generous kindliness shone there instead. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 维莱特.
- Later, the bowl became more pointed, the drop was replaced by a tongue, and the handle, after 1760, instead of slightly curving to the front at the end, reversed the position. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.
- Then I became a young vagabond; and instead of one old woman knocking me about and starving me, everybody of all ages knocked me about and starved me. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 艰难时事.
- Or why had not she rather gone to her own room, as she had felt to be safest, instead of attending the rehearsal at all? 简·奥斯汀. 曼斯菲尔德庄园.
- The winter remained mild for an unusually long time--he could have escaped; but instead he remained in Moscow, making impossible plans, at a loss. 赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯. 世界史纲.
- Look what they have instead of game. 伊丽莎白·盖斯凯尔. 南方与北方.
- They may be all burnt up, observed Mrs Dengelton in a sepulchral tone; and instead of Rudolph I may meet a cinder. 弗格斯·休姆. 奇幻岛.