['ɪnst(ə)ns] or ['ɪnstəns]
(n.) The act or quality of being instant or pressing; urgency; solicitation; application; suggestion; motion.
(n.) That which is instant or urgent; motive.
(n.) Occasion; order of occurrence.
(n.) That which offers itself or is offered as an illustrative case; something cited in proof or exemplification; a case occurring; an example.
(n.) A token; a sign; a symptom or indication.
(v. t.) To mention as a case or example; to refer to; to cite; as, to instance a fact.
(v. i.) To give an example.
n. . Solicitation, request, urgency, prompting, importunity, instigation, incitement.. Example, exemplification, illustration, case in point.. Time, occasion, occurrence.
v. a. Mention as an instance, bring forward as an example.
SYN:Entreaty, request, prompting, persuasion, example, solicitation, case,illustration, exemplification, occurrence, point, precedence
ANT:Dissuasion, deprecation, warning, rule, statement, principle,misexemplification
n. quality of being urgent: solicitation: occurrence: occasion: example: (Shak.) evidence proof.—v.t. to mention as an example.—n. In′stancy insistency.—adj. Instan′tial (rare).—At the instance of at the motion or solicitation of; For instance to take as an example.
- For instance, if he took his supper after a hard day, to the Dead March in Saul, his food might be likely to sit heavy on him. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 我们共同的朋友.
- I am also to take it as a matter of fact that the proposal to withdraw from the engagement came, in the first instance, from YOU? 威尔基·柯林斯. 月亮宝石.
- Permit me to mention one little instance, which, though it relates to myself, will not be quite uninteresting to you. 本杰明·富兰克林. 富兰克林自传.
- In connection with the adoption of this lubricating system there occurred another instance of his knowledge of materials and intuitive insight into the nature of things. 弗兰克·刘易斯·戴尔. 爱迪生的生平和发明.
- He obtruded himself upon us in the first instance. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 小杜丽.
- My footman was at that instance setting off for my sister and Dr. Bain: and my good housekeeper was in tears. 哈里特·威尔逊. 哈里特·威尔逊回忆录.
- In the present instance, a worse feeling than either of these actuated the leader. 玛丽·雪莱. 最后一个人.
- All other things, our powers our desires, our food, are all really necessary for our existence in the first instance. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯回忆录.
- Laughing and pressing her arm, he retorted: 'But still, again for instance; would you exercise that power? 查尔斯·狄更斯. 我们共同的朋友.
- The enemy had not dared to come out of his line at any point to follow up his advantage, except in the single instance of his attack on Barlow. 尤利西斯·格兰特. U．S．格兰特的个人回忆录.
- Numerous instances could be given. 查尔斯·达尔文. 物种起源.
- Such instances save us from utter despair of our kind. 哈丽叶特·比切·斯托. 汤姆叔叔的小屋.
- These were instances of friendship for which any man might reasonably feel most grateful. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 匹克威克外传.
- When this date approaches bands of natives set out from their primitive homes and go, in many instances, hundreds of miles into the forest lowlands. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.
- I have met with striking instances of the rule in the case of varieties intermediate between well-marked varieties in the genus Balanus. 查尔斯·达尔文. 物种起源.
- Many similar instances could be given. 查尔斯·达尔文. 物种起源.
- It must, however, be admitted that in many instances we cannot conjecture whether it was instinct or structure which first varied. 查尔斯·达尔文. 物种起源.
- Instances might be multiplied of this easily gained and unconscious popularity. 威廉·梅克比斯·萨克雷. 名利场.
- I have providentially been the means of removing him from several houses: though in one or two instances I did not arrive in time. 威廉·梅克比斯·萨克雷. 名利场.
- The device is so arranged that the air current is caused to take either direction through the tube; and in some instances gravity may be used to assist a vacuum formed behind the carrier. 威廉·亨利·杜利特. 世纪发明.
- I have already instanced the case of the entire disintegration of a regiment whose colonel I met at Farmville. 尤利西斯·格兰特. U．S．格兰特的个人回忆录.
- Louisa said he was a love of a creature, and she adored him; and Mary instanced his pretty little mouth, and nice nose, as her ideal of the charming. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 简·爱.
- Gerty instanced her generous impulses--her restlessness and discontent. 伊迪丝·华顿. 快乐之家.