[ə'genst;ə'geɪnst] or [ə'ɡɛnst]
(prep.) Abreast; opposite to; facing; towards; as, against the mouth of a river; -- in this sense often preceded by over.
(prep.) From an opposite direction so as to strike or come in contact with; in contact with; upon; as, hail beats against the roof.
(prep.) In opposition to, whether the opposition is of sentiment or of action; on the other side; counter to; in contrariety to; hence, adverse to; as, against reason; against law; to run a race against time.
(prep.) By of before the time that; in preparation for; so as to be ready for the time when.
prep. . Opposed to, in opposition to, contrary to, adverse to.. Facing, fronting, off, opposite to, over against.. In provision for, in expectation of, in preparation for, in anticipation of.
SYN:Over, opposite, abutting, opposing, resisting, despite, across, athwart,counter
ANT:With, for, accompanying, aiding, suiting, promoting
prep. opposite to: in opposition to: in contact or collision with: in provision for: in exchange for instead of: (B. and Shak.) by the time that elliptically for 'against (the time) at which' or 'that I come.'
- They have a kind of hard flints, which, by grinding against other stones, they form into instruments, that serve instead of wedges, axes, and hammers. 乔纳森·斯威夫特. 格列佛游记.
- I felt it against the back of the chair. 欧内斯特·海明威. 永别了,武器.
- His proud heart rebelled against this change. 玛丽·雪莱. 最后一个人.
- He was always well dressed, very neat and plain, but his eyes were weak, just as mine are, and he wore tinted glasses against the glare. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯历险记.
- It will by no means follow, however, that the real exchange was against it. 亚当·斯密. 国富论.
- Was he alone, that long night, whose brave, loving spirit was bearing up, in that old shed, against buffeting and brutal stripes? 哈丽叶特·比切·斯托. 汤姆叔叔的小屋.
- I find from Riderhood and you together, that there are suspicions against both men, and I'm not going to take upon myself to decide betwixt them. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 我们共同的朋友.
- This is the arm of which so much was heard during the recent war with Spain, and against which our soldiers had to contend. Edward W. Byrn. 十九世纪发明进展.
- The Bell Company fought alone against the Western Union, and it was a struggle of giants. 鲁伯特·萨金特·荷兰. 历史性发明.
- At every court there were groups of ministers and secretaries who played a Machiavellian game against their foreign rivals. 赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯. 世界史纲.
- They heard a rifle bolt snick as it was drawn back and then the knock against the wood as it was pushed forward and down on the stock. 欧内斯特·海明威. 丧钟为谁而鸣.
- It is only a hostile average-sensual-man background against which the philosophers and poets stand out. 赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯. 世界史纲.
- Her rich colour, her quick blood, her rapid breath, were all setting themselves against the opportunity of retracing their steps. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 小杜丽.
- The unfortunate inquirer staggered against a wall, a faint cry escaped her --O! 玛丽·雪莱. 最后一个人.
- He told me he had promised the Bishop to sign some kind of a petition against divorce. 伊迪丝·华顿. 快乐之家.
- It slid from its balance, owing to the change in its course against the currents of air. 鲁伯特·萨金特·荷兰. 历史性发明.
- As I did so I struck against an elderly, deformed man, who had been behind me, and I knocked down several books which he was carrying. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯归来记.
- I have nothing against him but such a spectacle must terminate. 欧内斯特·海明威. 丧钟为谁而鸣.
- He knew well that I should never willingly invoke the aid of the police against him. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯归来记.
- It threw a livid, unnatural circle upon the floor, while in the shadows beyond we saw the vague loom of two figures which crouched against the wall. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯回忆录.
- Three of the weapons struck against him, and splintered with as little effect as if they had been driven against a tower of steel. 沃尔特·司各特. 艾凡赫.
- The rest get among the spittoons and pipes or lean against the piano. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.
- You are endeavouring to disarm me by reason, and to convince me against my will. 简·奥斯汀. 理智与情感.
- Last night, in Drury Lane lobby, I ran against Sir John Middleton, and when he saw who I wasfor the first time these two monthshe spoke to me. 简·奥斯汀. 理智与情感.
- And she has set her mind against staying. 乔治·艾略特. 米德尔马契.
- As Celia bent over the paper, Dorothea put her cheek against her sister's arm caressingly. 乔治·艾略特. 米德尔马契.
- But he came regularly every evening and sat without his coat, with his head against the wall, as though he would have helped us if he had known how. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.
- Only the first of the Han monarchs continued the policy of Shi-Hwang-ti against the _literati_. 赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯. 世界史纲.
- Still, whatever we believe or know of him, we had better not forget that some appearances are against him. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.
- Small elevated tanks, like those of the windmill, frequently have heavy iron bands around their lower portion as a protection against the extra strain. 伯莎M.克拉克. 科学通论.