[dɔː] or [dɔr]
(noun.) a swinging or sliding barrier that will close the entrance to a room or building or vehicle; 'he knocked on the door'; 'he slammed the door as he left'.
(noun.) a room that is entered via a door; 'his office is the third door down the hall on the left'.
(noun.) a structure where people live or work (usually ordered along a street or road); 'the office next door'; 'they live two doors up the street from us'.
(noun.) anything providing a means of access (or escape); 'we closed the door to Haitian immigrants'; 'education is the door to success'.
(n.) An opening in the wall of a house or of an apartment, by which to go in and out; an entrance way.
(n.) The frame or barrier of boards, or other material, usually turning on hinges, by which an entrance way into a house or apartment is closed and opened.
(n.) Passage; means of approach or access.
(n.) An entrance way, but taken in the sense of the house or apartment to which it leads.
n. . Entrance.. Passage, avenue, means of access, means of approach.. [Familiarly.] House.
n. the usual entrance into a house room or passage: the wooden frame on hinges closing up the entrance: a means of approach or access.—ns. Door′-bell; Door′-case the frame which encloses a door; Door′-cheek (Scot.) one of the side-posts of a door; Door′-keep′er; Door′-knock′er; Door′-mat; Door′-nail; Door′-plate a plate on or at a door with the householder's name on it; Door′-post the jamb or side-piece of a door; Door′-sill the threshold of a doorway; Door′-stead a doorway; Door′-step Door′-stone the step-stone; Door′way the entrance or passage closed by the door; Door′-yard a yard about the door of a house; Fold′ing-door a door in two halves each of which may be folded back against the wall.—Darken one's door to cross one's threshold; Death's door on the point of death in great danger of death; Next door to in the house next to: near to bordering upon very nearly; Out of doors in the open air; Show to the door to dismiss with ignominy.
To dream of entering a door, denotes slander, and enemies from whom you are trying in vain to escape. This is the same of any door, except the door of your childhood home. If it is this door you dream of entering, your days will be filled with plenty and congeniality. To dream of entering a door at night through the rain, denotes, to women, unpardonable escapades; to a man, it is significant of a drawing on his resources by unwarranted vice, and also foretells assignations. To see others go through a doorway, denotes unsuccessful attempts to get your affairs into a paying condition. It also means changes to farmers and the political world. To an author, it foretells that the reading public will reprove his way of stating facts by refusing to read his later works. To dream that you attempt to close a door, and it falls from its hinges, injuring some one, denotes that malignant evil threatens your friend through your unintentionally wrong advice. If you see another attempt to lock a door, and it falls from its hinges, you will have knowledge of some friend's misfortune and be powerless to aid him.
- They reached a curtained door, behind which sounded lovely music. 路易莎·梅·奥尔科特. 小妇人.
- A piece of tapestry over a door also showed a blue-green world with a pale stag in it. 乔治·艾略特. 米德尔马契.
- I'm gwine to open the door. 哈丽叶特·比切·斯托. 汤姆叔叔的小屋.
- We were then led up to the door, where we were directed to get down on our hands and knees with our backs toward the room we were to enter. 埃德加·赖斯·巴勒斯. 火星战神.
- Entering the open passage, she tapped at the door of the private parlour, unfastened it, and looked in. 托马斯·哈代. 还乡.
- You passed out quickly into the passage, and left the door open. 威尔基·柯林斯. 月亮宝石.
- As our visitor concluded, Holmes sprang up without a word, handed me my hat, picked his own from the table, and followed Dr. Trevelyan to the door. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯回忆录.
- My father brought me to the door, not a minute ago, but unfortunately he was not told that you were here, and he has gone away on some business. 伊丽莎白·盖斯凯尔. 南方与北方.
- They stood in the door, looking after me. 欧内斯特·海明威. 永别了,武器.
- There was a brief interval, they heard a door close, then Maxim said, in his refined voice: 'That's all right. 戴维·赫伯特·劳伦斯. 恋爱中的女人.
- We entered the playground enclosure, and walked by the schoolroom window to get round to the door, which was situated at the back of the building. 威尔基·柯林斯. 白衣女人.
- For what's a door-chain when she's got one always up? 查尔斯·狄更斯. 远大前程.
- Opening the door, he spoke a few words quickly but quietly to two females who ran to meet him in the passage. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 雪莉.
- These she put on, out on the staircase, first shutting and locking the door and taking away the key. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 双城记.
- As he drew near his door, Ponsonby pressed me close to his heart. 哈里特·威尔逊. 哈里特·威尔逊回忆录.
- At one of the theatre doors, there was a little girl with a mother, looking for a way across the street through the mud. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 双城记.
- We heard it inside the doors. 欧内斯特·海明威. 永别了,武器.
- The opening for putting in the ice, shown just under the pulley in the cut, has two doors with a space between; each door a foot thick. 威廉K.戴维. 智者、化学家和伟大医生的秘密.
- He steps into the room, and she comes in too, closing both the doors behind her. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.
- It flashed upon Miss Pross's mind that the doors were all standing open, and would suggest the flight. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 双城记.
- On the same day, amidst the outcries of all the women in the place, he put his head out of doors. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 雪莉.
- Then came the question, which of the two next doors? 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.
- The doors were at the ends, a row of seats ran along each side of the interior, and a long deal table extended down the centre. 鲁伯特·萨金特·荷兰. 历史性发明.
- I only went up and shut the doors. 哈丽叶特·比切·斯托. 汤姆叔叔的小屋.
- The doors of Skuytercliff were rarely and grudgingly opened to visitors, and a chilly week-end was the most ever offered to the few thus privileged. 伊迪丝·华顿. 纯真年代.
- At a signal from Dak Kova the doors of two cages were thrown open and a dozen green Martian females were driven to the center of the arena. 埃德加·赖斯·巴勒斯. 火星公主.
- What's the news in doors? 查尔斯·狄更斯. 我们共同的朋友.
- He then knocked at the doors of two other similar rooms, and introduced me to their occupants, by name Drummle and Startop. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 远大前程.
- You shut up the windows and doors the night before. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯历险记.
- Don't turn me out of doors to wander in the streets again. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 雾都孤儿.