(adv.) In what manner or way; by what means or process.
(adv.) To what degree or extent, number or amount; in what proportion; by what measure or quality.
(adv.) For what reason; from what cause.
(adv.) In what state, condition, or plight.
(adv.) By what name, designation, or title.
(adv.) At what price; how dear.
ad. . In what manner, in what way, by what mode, by what means.. To what extent, to what degree.. For what cause, for what reason.. In what state, in what condition, in what plight.
adv. in what manner: to what extent: for what reason: by what means: from what cause: in what condition: (N.T.) sometimes=that.—The how and the why the manner and the cause.
n. (prov.) a low hill.
- As a walking companion, Emma had very early foreseen how useful she might find her. 简·奥斯汀. 爱玛.
- How we shall conciliate this little creature, said Mrs. Bretton to me, I don't know: she tastes nothing, and by her looks, she has not slept. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 维莱特.
- But how about the foresight and the moral retrogression? 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯历险记.
- May I ask how old he is, ma'am? 托马斯·哈代. 还乡.
- What a fine town but how the _buena gente_, the good people of that town, have suffered in this war. 欧内斯特·海明威. 丧钟为谁而鸣.
- He knew how to blow any sort of bridge that you could name and he had blown them of all sizes and constructions. 欧内斯特·海明威. 丧钟为谁而鸣.
- How she had to work and thrum at these duets and sonatas in the Street, before they appeared in public in the Square! 威廉·梅克比斯·萨克雷. 名利场.
- How earnestly did she then wish that her former opinions had been more reasonable, her expressions more moderate! 简·奥斯汀. 傲慢与偏见.
- But pray, Colonel, how came you to conjure out that I should be in town today? 简·奥斯汀. 理智与情感.
- Be cautious then, young ladies; be wary how you engage. 威廉·梅克比斯·萨克雷. 名利场.
- And how were they? 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 简·爱.
- How can you wait in this dress in the middle of the streets? 哈里特·威尔逊. 哈里特·威尔逊回忆录.
- He knows how vast the field is, and how many paths constantly beckon him. 鲁伯特·萨金特·荷兰. 历史性发明.
- Your book-case, Marian--your dear-little-shabby-old-satin-wood book-case--how glad I am you brought it with you from Limmeridge! 威尔基·柯林斯. 白衣女人.
- But how has she lived through all these years? 威尔基·柯林斯. 白衣女人.
- He looked at her--oh, how fondly--as she came running towards him, her hands before her, ready to give them to him. 威廉·梅克比斯·萨克雷. 名利场.
- So, he sat down at the foot of his little iron bedstead, and began to wonder how much a year the warder made out of the dirty room. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 匹克威克外传.
- This victory gained, Rokesmith made haste to profit by it, for he saw how woefully time had been lost. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 我们共同的朋友.
- Some time ago, before her father's death, when I thought it right to mention to her--but I'll tell you, if you will bear with me, how it was. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 大卫·科波菲尔.
- There she satand who would have guessed how many tears she had been lately shedding? 简·奥斯汀. 爱玛.
- And you, last night, thinking about how you and your grandfather were so terrific and your father was a coward. 欧内斯特·海明威. 丧钟为谁而鸣.
- That he may let me know how you behave, answered Frederick Lamb. 哈里特·威尔逊. 哈里特·威尔逊回忆录.
- How long could I bear it? 查尔斯·狄更斯. 大卫·科波菲尔.
- But how if another claw in the shape of me is straining to thwart it? 乔治·艾略特. 米德尔马契.
- How could my hair have been locked in the drawer? 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯历险记.
- There were lines upon his forehead, but Time seemed to have touched him gently, remembering how kind he was to others. 路易莎·梅·奥尔科特. 小妇人.
- And how are you, my dear boy? 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.
- I am quite grieved for him, and very much frightened, and so is Sir Thomas; and how glad I should be if you were here to comfort me. 简·奥斯汀. 曼斯菲尔德庄园.
- How about the irreclaimable ones, though? 伊迪丝·华顿. 快乐之家.
- I don't know how it is, said he, but I had hoped for so much from his return. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯回忆录.