(adv.) to the greatest extent; completely; 'you're quite right'; 'she was quite alone'; 'was quite mistaken'; 'quite the opposite'; 'not quite finished'; 'did not quite make it'.
(adv.) to a degree (not used with a negative); 'quite tasty'; 'quite soon'; 'quite ill'; 'quite rich'.
(adv.) of an unusually noticeable or exceptional or remarkable kind (not used with a negative); 'her victory was quite something'; 'she's quite a girl'; 'quite a film'; 'quite a walk'; 'we've had quite an afternoon'.
(adv.) actually or truly or to an extreme; 'was quite a sudden change'; 'it's quite the thing to do'; 'quite the rage'; 'Quite so!'.
(v. t. & i.) See Quit.
(a.) Completely; wholly; entirely; totally; perfectly; as, the work is not quite done; the object is quite accomplished; to be quite mistaken.
(a.) To a great extent or degree; very; very much; considerably.
ad. . Completely, wholly, entirely, totally, perfectly.. [Colloquial.] Very, considerably, in a great degree, to a great extent.
SYN:Perfectly, entirely, completely, wholly, truly, altogether, totally
ANT:Partially, imperfectly, barely, insufficiently, hardly
adv. completely: wholly: entirely.—Quite a little a good few: considerable; Quite so a phrase denoting assent in conversation.
- I told his impudence that the gilt pestle and mortar was quite ornament enough; as if I was born, indeed, to be a country surgeon's wife! 威廉·梅克比斯·萨克雷. 名利场.
- Will was not quite contented, thinking that he would apparently have been of more importance if he had been disliked. 乔治·艾略特. 米德尔马契.
- And then commenced a train of thought quite new to me. 埃德加·赖斯·巴勒斯. 火星公主.
- Permit me to mention one little instance, which, though it relates to myself, will not be quite uninteresting to you. 本杰明·富兰克林. 富兰克林自传.
- Which means, I suppose, that you are not quite clear about your case? 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯归来记.
- On the second day he found his wife and Sir Percival whispering together quite familiar, close under the vestry of the church. 威尔基·柯林斯. 白衣女人.
- These good people were absolutely ignorant that their land contained that which was quite as valuable as a gold-mine. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯历险记.
- Mr. Bell quite startled me when he said, some idea of the kind--' 'Mr. Bell! 伊丽莎白·盖斯凯尔. 南方与北方.
- The sitting was altogether very satisfactory; she was quite enough pleased with the first day's sketch to wish to go on. 简·奥斯汀. 爱玛.
- He had always meant to do something, and Amy's advice was quite unnecessary. 路易莎·梅·奥尔科特. 小妇人.
- My rescue from this kind of existence I considered quite hopeless, and abandoned, as such, altogether. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 大卫·科波菲尔.
- He went away and was gone quite a little while. 欧内斯特·海明威. 永别了,武器.
- Excuse me, Lady Dedlock, says Mr. Tulkinghorn, quite unmoved. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.
- You've hit it, ma'am: it's quite certain that it was her, and nobody but her, that set it going. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 简·爱.
- That is quite impossible, said I, and entirely out of the question. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.
- The penniless Colonel became quite obsequious and respectful to the head of his house, and despised the milksop Pitt no longer. 威廉·梅克比斯·萨克雷. 名利场.
- At last he was happily got down without any accident, and then he began to beat Mr. Guppy with a hoop-stick in quite a frantic manner. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.
- He was quite willing to tell me what his plan was, but I did not feel clear enough to understand it. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.
- It is quite too transparent, and it was a very bad compliment when you said that it was impossible for me to solve so simple a question. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯历险记.
- I am quite grieved for him, and very much frightened, and so is Sir Thomas; and how glad I should be if you were here to comfort me. 简·奥斯汀. 曼斯菲尔德庄园.
- Still, said Maurice pertinently, the sun is still below the eastern side of the mountain, yet the air is quite warm. 弗格斯·休姆. 奇幻岛.
- An inking roller, charged with an oily ink, is then passed over the stone and inks the drawing, but leaves all the other parts of the stone quite clean. 弗雷德里克·科利尔·贝克维尔. 伟大的事实.
- Now, Handel, I am quite free from the flavor of sour grapes, upon my soul and honor! 查尔斯·狄更斯. 远大前程.
- Yet it was quite certain, from the absolute stillness, that we were in the country. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯历险记.
- Oh, quite well! 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 简·爱.
- He was quite enchanting. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.
- If the question concerned an outfit for Borrioboola, Ma would know all about it and would be quite excited. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.
- We quite understand each other--don't we? 威尔基·柯林斯. 白衣女人.
- But if she does, I am quite sure you will find her sons able to defend their island, even against enmity and treachery. 弗格斯·休姆. 奇幻岛.
- It is much shorter, and probably not quite so exact as that of the French taxes. 亚当·斯密. 国富论.