['bruːt(ə)l] or ['brutl]
(adj.) disagreeably direct and precise; 'he spoke with brutal honesty' .
(adj.) harsh; 'the brutal summer sun'; 'a brutal winter' .
(a.) Of or pertaining to a brute; as, brutal nature.
(a.) Like a brute; savage; cruel; inhuman; brutish; unfeeling; merciless; gross; as, brutal manners.
a. . Savage, ferocious, cruel, inhuman, unfeeling, barbarous, barbarian, fell, barbaric, ruthless, truculent, bloody, brutish, brute.. Churlish, gruff, bearish, harsh, uncivil, rude, rough, impolite, unmannerly, BRUSQUE, ungentlemanly.. Gross, coarse, sensual, carnal, brutish, beastly, bestial.
SYN:Savage, inhuman, rude, unfeeling, merciless, ruthless, brutish, barbarous,sensual, beastly, ignorant, stolid, dense, cruel, violent, vindictive,bloodthirsty, intemperate
ANT:Humane, civilized, generous, intelligent, polished, chivalrous, conscientious,self-controlled
- Was he alone, that long night, whose brave, loving spirit was bearing up, in that old shed, against buffeting and brutal stripes? 哈丽叶特·比切·斯托. 汤姆叔叔的小屋.
- It was the work of this brutal ruffian whom he had the misfortune to employ. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯归来记.
- He was brutal to you: you hated him. 乔治·艾略特. 米德尔马契.
- Her attitude toward the captive was most harsh and brutal. 埃德加·赖斯·巴勒斯. 火星公主.
- At least it must be owned, that heroic virtue, being as unusual, is as little natural as the most brutal barbarity. 戴维·休谟. 人性论.
- He is a mean, low, brutal fellow! 哈丽叶特·比切·斯托. 汤姆叔叔的小屋.
- It is of some comfort to know that this brutal use of the rope is being replaced by more humane methods of ending the lives of condemned criminals. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.
- He declared that the foreign bodies were ugly, nasty, brutal. 欧内斯特·海明威. 永别了,武器.
- It is ugly and brutal. 欧内斯特·海明威. 丧钟为谁而鸣.
- A perfect type of the strongly masculine, unmarred by dissipation, or brutal or degrading passions. 埃德加·赖斯·巴勒斯. 人猿泰山.
- In the head and face every organ and lineament expressive of brutal and unhesitating violence was in a state of the highest possible development. 哈丽叶特·比切·斯托. 汤姆叔叔的小屋.
- Yet who does not feel its isolation in that brutal city? 沃尔特·李普曼. 政治序论.
- Behind us we left the stricken city in the fierce and brutal clutches of some forty thousand green warriors of the lesser hordes. 埃德加·赖斯·巴勒斯. 火星公主.
- It is brutal, the woman said. 欧内斯特·海明威. 丧钟为谁而鸣.
- Sometimes he wished that he had never known Eustacia, immediately to retract the wish as brutal. 托马斯·哈代. 还乡.