['riːs(ə)nt] or ['risnt]
(adj.) new; 'recent graduates'; 'a recent addition to the house'; 'recent buds on the apple trees' .
(a.) Of late origin, existence, or occurrence; lately come; not of remote date, antiquated style, or the like; not already known, familiar, worn out, trite, etc.; fresh; novel; new; modern; as, recent news.
(a.) Of or pertaining to the present or existing epoch; as, recent shells.
a. . New, novel, not long past.. Late, fresh, newly come.. Latter, modern.
SYN:Late, new, fresh, novel, modern, new-fangled
ANT:Ancient, antiquated, primitive, archaic
adj. of late origin or occurrence: fresh: modern: (geol.) belonging to the present geological period.—adv. Rē′cently.—n. Rē′centness.
- This is the arm of which so much was heard during the recent war with Spain, and against which our soldiers had to contend. Edward W. Byrn. 十九世纪发明进展.
- But if you have followed recent events so closely you must have read about Lord St. Simon and his wedding? 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯历险记.
- Hunger and recent ill-usage are great assistants if you want to cry; and Oliver cried very naturally indeed. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 雾都孤儿.
- This brief direction to Charley Bates, and his recent antagonist, was softly and immediately obeyed. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 雾都孤儿.
- How unjustly, how capriciously, how cruelly, they have commonly exercised it, is too well known from recent experience. 亚当·斯密. 国富论.
- A recent improvement in the handling of iron from the blast furnace is shown in Fig. 255. Edward W. Byrn. 十九世纪发明进展.
- In a recent and more restricted sense, it is applied to a machine that cuts grain, separates it into gavels, and binds it. 威廉·亨利·杜利特. 世纪发明.
- As a general belief it is still more recent. 沃尔特·李普曼. 政治序论.
- And is no allowance to be made for inadvertence, or for spirits depressed by recent disappointment? 简·奥斯汀. 理智与情感.
- May there not be something in these recent events which threatens her secret with discovery? 威尔基·柯林斯. 月亮宝石.
- In support of his view he cited a recent experiment. 李贝. 西洋科学史.
- It has been used of recent years to designate the skilled horsemen who have charge of the cattle on the great ranges of the West. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.
- The moon was set, and it was very dark; Bessie carried a lantern, whose light glanced on wet steps and gravel road sodden by a recent thaw. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 简·爱.
- And while he is deserving of gratitude for his actions in the early part of the movement and up until the most recent time-- 欧内斯特·海明威. 丧钟为谁而鸣.
- The first sold prodigiously, the event being recent, and having made a great noise. 本杰明·富兰克林. 富兰克林自传.