['ɡɪvɪŋ] or ['gɪvɪŋ]
(noun.) disposing of property by voluntary transfer without receiving value in return; 'the alumni followed a program of annual giving'.
(noun.) the act of giving.
(noun.) the imparting of news or promises etc.; 'he gave us the news and made a great show of the giving'; 'giving his word of honor seemed to come too easily'.
(p. pr. & vb. n.) of Give
(n.) The act of bestowing as a gift; a conferring or imparting.
(n.) A gift; a benefaction.
(n.) The act of softening, breaking, or yielding.
- There is scarcely any man alive who does not think himself meritorious for giving his neighbour five pounds. 威廉·梅克比斯·萨克雷. 名利场.
- Hence, provision was made for carrying a large stock of oil, and for giving a certain period of rest to that already used. 弗兰克·刘易斯·戴尔. 爱迪生的生平和发明.
- If that were true, Celia, my giving-up would be self-indulgence, not self-mortification. 乔治·艾略特. 米德尔马契.
- And she is very poor--you know Mrs. Peniston cut her off with a small legacy, after giving her to understand that she was to have everything. 伊迪丝·华顿. 快乐之家.
- The interview here ended, I agreeing, however, to send a letter giving final terms by ten o'clock that night. 尤利西斯·格兰特. U．S．格兰特的个人回忆录.
- After giving them a little rest, to quiet their fears, we started again. 尤利西斯·格兰特. U．S．格兰特的个人回忆录.
- I saw her, and anger, and hate, and injustice died at her bier, giving place at their departure to a remorse (Great God, that I should feel it! 玛丽·雪莱. 最后一个人.
- Before giving him any order as to the part he was to play in the approaching campaign I invited his views. 尤利西斯·格兰特. U．S．格兰特的个人回忆录.
- Mr. Casaubon, who had risen early complaining of palpitation, was in the library giving audience to his curate Mr. Tucker. 乔治·艾略特. 米德尔马契.
- He dismounted, and giving his horse to his servant, walked back with them to Barton, whither he was purposely coming to visit them. 简·奥斯汀. 理智与情感.
- You talk of giving it the air of a gentleman's residence. 简·奥斯汀. 曼斯菲尔德庄园.
- Mr Fledgeby,' said Mrs Lammle, giving him a very gracious reception, 'so glad to see you! 查尔斯·狄更斯. 我们共同的朋友.
- Behold the baits with which he fishes for souls, giving a poor space of earthly life in exchange for eternal happiness hereafter. 沃尔特·司各特. 艾凡赫.
- I was in the bar, and a garrulous landlord was giving me all that I wanted. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯归来记.
- Never mind him, my dear,' said the Jew, winking at Mr. Dawkins, and giving Master Bates a reproving tap with the nozzle of the bellows. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 雾都孤儿.