[juːzd] or [just]
(adj.) employed in accomplishing something; 'the principle of surprise is the most used and misused of all the principles of war'- H.H.Arnold & I.C.Eaker .
(imp. & p. p.) of Use
- By only raising my voice, and saying any thing two or three times over, she is sure to hear; but then she is used to my voice. 简·奥斯汀. 爱玛.
- It was also used in October, 1899, on board the Grande Duchesse to report the international yacht race between the Columbia and the Shamrock at Sandy Hook, as seen in Fig. 13. Edward W. Byrn. 十九世纪发明进展.
- In some sense, men had always used an inductive method in dealing with their immediate practical concerns. 约翰·杜威. 民主与教育.
- From the window of Worcester's barrack-room I used to amuse myself reviewing our troops, but not after the fashion of Catharine of Russia. 哈里特·威尔逊. 哈里特·威尔逊回忆录.
- Shall I play some of those little melodies of Mozart's which you used to like so much? 威尔基·柯林斯. 白衣女人.
- As I perceive that your boots, although used, are by no means dirty, I cannot doubt that you are at present busy enough to justify the hansom. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯回忆录.
- Hence, provision was made for carrying a large stock of oil, and for giving a certain period of rest to that already used. 弗兰克·刘易斯·戴尔. 爱迪生的生平和发明.
- We always used that name for marshes, in our country. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 远大前程.
- He always used to say 'twas his nose bleedn, till he must have pomped all the blood out of 'um. 威廉·梅克比斯·萨克雷. 名利场.
- Those were the exact words she used--taken down in my diary the moment I got home. 威尔基·柯林斯. 月亮宝石.
- She's devilish like Miss Cutler that I used to meet at Dumdum, only fairer. 威廉·梅克比斯·萨克雷. 名利场.
- Social responsibility for the use of time and personal capacity is more generally recognized than it used to be. 约翰·杜威. 民主与教育.
- It was said to be untarnishable and unstainable even when used with the strongest acid foods, as well as non-rusting. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.
- It is modernly used as a luxury by those who are able to combine with it other means for heating. 威廉·亨利·杜利特. 世纪发明.
- You did not see it because I led you not in the beaten tracks, but through roundabout passages seldom used. 埃德加·赖斯·巴勒斯. 火星战神.
- He used to tell me that I was the most beautiful woman in Louisiana, he was so proud of me and the children. 哈丽叶特·比切·斯托. 汤姆叔叔的小屋.
- The new legs last twice as long as the others used to do, and he attributes this solely to his temperate habits (triumphant cheers). 查尔斯·狄更斯. 匹克威克外传.
- Guitar and mandolin are agreeable instruments for amateurs, but are never used in orchestral music. 伯莎M.克拉克. 科学通论.
- To provide a metal which should be at once stronger and safer than any which had been used before. 威廉·亨利·杜利特. 世纪发明.
- Stephenson laid down new rails at Killingworth with half-lap joints, or extending over each other for a certain distance at the ends, instead of the butt joints that were formerly used. 鲁伯特·萨金特·荷兰. 历史性发明.
- A debate is not what a debate used to be; the House is not what the House used to be; even a Cabinet is not what it formerly was. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.
- We made up a scheme to hold this wire, so he changed one letter of the alphabet and I soon got used to it; and finally we changed three letters. 弗兰克·刘易斯·戴尔. 爱迪生的生平和发明.
- Much cant have I heard and read about 'maiden modesty,' but, properly used, and not hackneyed, the words are good and appropriate words. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 雪莉.
- It is suggestive that among the Greeks, till the rise of conscious philosophy, the same word, techne, was used for art and science. 约翰·杜威. 民主与教育.
- When used in the field they were dragged about by many yokes of oxen. 威廉·亨利·杜利特. 世纪发明.
- Most of the tramping tinkers used to come and lodge at our place; that was the best part of my master's earnings. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.
- It was early used in both the Holland and Lake boats and is still the chief prime motor. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.
- Can it give me back my children, or make me what I used to be? 哈丽叶特·比切·斯托. 汤姆叔叔的小屋.
- No sooner does an article become extensively used than a machine is made for turning it out automatically. Edward W. Byrn. 十九世纪发明进展.
- I used to pray so much--now I hardly ever pray. 乔治·艾略特. 米德尔马契.