[wɜːdz] or [wɝdz]
(noun.) language that is spoken or written; 'he has a gift for words'; 'she put her thoughts into words'.
(noun.) the words that are spoken; 'I listened to his words very closely'.
n. pl. . Language, accents, tongues, talk, discourse.. Dispute, wrangling, bickering, altercation, logomachy, war of words.
- Miss Mills had a wonderful flow of words, and liked to pour them out. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 大卫·科波菲尔.
- There were only these few words in her neatly flowing hand:-- I have told Mrs. Casaubon. 乔治·艾略特. 米德尔马契.
- My next words, as true as the good God is above us, will put my life into your hands. 威尔基·柯林斯. 白衣女人.
- No, it is not selfishness or conceit, said he, answering, as was his wont, my thoughts rather than my words. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯历险记.
- His mother left the room; then, moved by insupportable regret, I just murmured the words Dr. Bretton. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 维莱特.
- The stranger insisted on making Mr. Godfrey precede him; Mr. Godfrey said a few civil words; they bowed, and parted in the street. 威尔基·柯林斯. 月亮宝石.
- Opening the door, he spoke a few words quickly but quietly to two females who ran to meet him in the passage. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 雪莉.
- And as this,' he added, after these magnanimous words, 'is not a fit scene for the boy--David, go to bed! 查尔斯·狄更斯. 大卫·科波菲尔.
- It is only by the use of words as symbols that scientific thought is possible. 李贝. 西洋科学史.
- Oh, I do not mind singing, said Caliphronas, going to the piano; if the words of my songs were translated, you would find them very harmless. 弗格斯·休姆. 奇幻岛.
- Those were the exact words she used--taken down in my diary the moment I got home. 威尔基·柯林斯. 月亮宝石.
- The Germans were doubled up with laughter, hearing his strange droll words, his droll phrases of dialect. 戴维·赫伯特·劳伦斯. 恋爱中的女人.
- At these latter words the girl shivered again, and for a moment paused in her rowing, seeming to turn deadly faint. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 我们共同的朋友.
- You need not fear to hear the few remaining words we have to say. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 雾都孤儿.
- In the same odd way, yet with the same rapidity, he then produced singly, and rubbed out singly, the letters forming the words Bleak House. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.