[ɪ'ljuːmɪneɪtɪŋ] or [ɪ'lʊmə'netɪŋ]
(p. pr. & vb. n.) of Illuminate
(a.) Giving or producing light; used for illumination.
- There are two distinct states of carbonization in illuminating gas. 弗雷德里克·科利尔·贝克维尔. 伟大的事实.
- A dangerous but very extensively used illuminating liquid before coal oil was discovered was camphene, distilled from turpentine. 威廉·亨利·杜利特. 世纪发明.
- Winsor takes British patent for Illuminating Gas, lights Lyceum Theatre, and organizes First Gas Company. Edward W. Byrn. 十九世纪发明进展.
- In the meantime, in 1801, Le Bon, a Frenchman at Paris, had succeeded in making illuminating gas from wood, lit his house therewith, and proposed to light the whole city of Paris. 威廉·亨利·杜利特. 世纪发明.
- For while it is illuminating to see how environment moulds men, it is absolutely essential that men regard themselves as moulders of their environment. 沃尔特·李普曼. 政治序论.
- I am simply trying to point out an illuminating fact whose essential truth can hardly be disputed. 沃尔特·李普曼. 政治序论.
- Water gas has neither the illuminating nor the heating qualities of coal gas, and it is also much more poisonous. Edward W. Byrn. 十九世纪发明进展.
- Thus it may be said that illuminating gas and the new century were born together--the former preceding the latter a little and lighting the way. 威廉·亨利·杜利特. 世纪发明.
- Nicholas Douglass, however, invented a new system of dovetailing, and great improvements have been made in the system of illuminating. 威廉·亨利·杜利特. 世纪发明.
- Boghead coal is now commonly used for mixing its gas with that of inferior quality, to bring up the illuminating power to the required standard. 弗雷德里克·科利尔·贝克维尔. 伟大的事实.
- The fire illuminating this room, reader, is such as, if you be a southern, you do not often see burning on the hearth of a private apartment. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 雪莉.
- Under a law passed by the United States Congress in 1907, on alcohol intended for use as fuel or for illuminating purposes, or other mechanical employment, the internal tax need not be paid. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.
- It is a book to which all intelligent readers come sooner or later, abounding as it does in illuminating errors and Boswellian charm. 赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯. 世界史纲.
- A most illuminating remark. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯归来记.
- Sch?ffer proved wonderfully adept at cutting type, and later at illuminating the initial letters that were needed. 鲁伯特·萨金特·荷兰. 历史性发明.
- When you see how business controls politics, it certainly is not very illuminating to call the successful business men of a nation criminals. 沃尔特·李普曼. 政治序论.
- Human statistics are illuminating to those who know humanity. 沃尔特·李普曼. 政治序论.
- Many important products besides illuminating gas are obtained from the distillation of soft coal. 伯莎M.克拉克. 科学通论.
- Another method of giving illuminating power to water gas was to surround the flame with platinum gauze, which was rendered incandescent by the heat, and became highly luminous. 弗雷德里克·科利尔·贝克维尔. 伟大的事实.
- One time there was to be a convention of the managers of Edison illuminating companies at Chicago. 弗兰克·刘易斯·戴尔. 爱迪生的生平和发明.
- The reader must bear in mind that illuminating remark of Winckler's, which says that this renascent Athens bore for a time the face of Pericles. 赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯. 世界史纲.
- The gas thus collected possessed little illuminating power, but it was afterwards mixed with the rich gas from cannel coal, and raised to the requisite illuminating standard. 弗雷德里克·科利尔·贝克维尔. 伟大的事实.
- In the annual report for 1898 of the Edison Electric Illuminating Company of New York, its statement shows that for that city alone the gross earnings were $2,898,021. Edward W. Byrn. 十九世纪发明进展.
- Such a lamp necessarily had a small illuminating power compared with that of the arc light, which was the only electric light then in commercial use. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.
- The illuminating property of coal gas depends on the quantity of carbon it contains. 弗雷德里克·科利尔·贝克维尔. 伟大的事实.
- The first public display of its illuminating power was made at the rejoicings for the peace of Amiens, in 1802, on which occasion part of the work-shops of Messrs. 弗雷德里克·科利尔·贝克维尔. 伟大的事实.
- There is an illuminating chapter on The Social Evil and the Police. 沃尔特·李普曼. 政治序论.
- One ton of this material yields 15,000 cubic feet of gas, which is equal in illuminating power to 1,930 lbs. 弗雷德里克·科利尔·贝克维尔. 伟大的事实.
- Dr. Carver, would there be time, before you start for the Blenkers' to explain to Mr. Archer your illuminating discovery of the Direct Contact? 伊迪丝·华顿. 纯真年代.
- As facts are better than theories, it will be of interest to adduce a recent example of gunnery of a most illuminating type, but as regards distance and remarkable accuracy of aim. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.