[endʒɪ'nɪə] or [,ɛndʒɪ'nɪr]
(noun.) a person who uses scientific knowledge to solve practical problems.
(noun.) the operator of a railway locomotive.
(verb.) design as an engineer; 'He engineered the water supply project'.
(n.) A person skilled in the principles and practice of any branch of engineering. See under Engineering, n.
(n.) One who manages as engine, particularly a steam engine; an engine driver.
(n.) One who carries through an enterprise by skillful or artful contrivance; an efficient manager.
(v. t.) To lay out or construct, as an engineer; to perform the work of an engineer on; as, to engineer a road.
(v. t.) To use contrivance and effort for; to guide the course of; to manage; as, to engineer a bill through Congress.
To see an engineer, forebodes weary journeys but joyful reunions.
- The first known application of the kind was made by Mr. Murdoch, an engineer in the employment of Messrs. 弗雷德里克·科利尔·贝克维尔. 伟大的事实.
- Baldwin, a construction engineer, living in the United States, began to work on calculating machines in 1870. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.
- The feverish young inn-keeper and ex-engineer started like Satan at the touch of Ithuriel's spear. 托马斯·哈代. 还乡.
- Ferris, an able engineer, now dead. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.
- His health soon gave out, when he was succeeded by Captain Comstock, also of the Engineer Corps. 尤利西斯·格兰特. U．S．格兰特的个人回忆录.
- The engineer in telephony cannot increase his motive power. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.
- That Department, through Sir William Henry Preece, Engineer-in-Chief of Telegraphs, took up the subject, and reported very favorably on the Marconi System. 鲁伯特·萨金特·荷兰. 历史性发明.
- That was long before invention became a research department full of engineers. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.
- The thought, taken up by electrical engineers, brought out an electric toaster, rectangular in shape, with handsome frame, nickel supports and wire heating element. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.
- It is as an inventor that he sets himself down in the membership list of the American Institute of Electrical Engineers. 弗兰克·刘易斯·戴尔. 爱迪生的生平和发明.
- Casey, of the United States Corps of Engineers. Edward W. Byrn. 十九世纪发明进展.
- Among the most successful of those engineers, who constructed steam carriages to run on roads, were Mr. Gurney, Mr. Birstall, Mr. Trevethick, Mr. Handcock, and Colonel Maceroni. 弗雷德里克·科利尔·贝克维尔. 伟大的事实.
- He sent a model of this to the Institute of Mechanical Engineers at Birmingham, of which he was president, together with a report describing it in full. 鲁伯特·萨金特·荷兰. 历史性发明.
- For this reason engineers, wherever possible, level down the steep places, and reduce the strain as far as possible. 伯莎M.克拉克. 科学通论.
- It may be stated as broadly true that Edison engineered to handle immense masses of stuff automatically, while his predecessors aimed chiefly at close separation. 弗兰克·刘易斯·戴尔. 爱迪生的生平和发明.
- There have been about 1,000 patents granted for bridges, about 2,500 for excavating apparatus, and about 1,500 for hydraulic engineering. Edward W. Byrn. 十九世纪发明进展.
- It was a remarkable engineering feature. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.
- The engineering establishment of Mr. Hall, at Dartford, in Kent, was selected as best adapted for the purpose of making the machinery and for carrying the plans into operation. 弗雷德里克·科利尔·贝克维尔. 伟大的事实.
- The organization was crude, the steam-engineering talent poor, and owing to the impossibility of getting any considerable capital subscribed, the plants were put in as cheaply as possible. 弗兰克·刘易斯·戴尔. 爱迪生的生平和发明.
- And Alfred must go off to the engineering--I've made up my mind to that. 乔治·艾略特. 米德尔马契.
- Edison devoted a great deal of his time to the engineering work in connection with the laying out of the first incandescent electric-lighting system in New York. 弗兰克·刘易斯·戴尔. 爱迪生的生平和发明.
- Mr. Edison is preeminent in the realm of engineering. 弗兰克·刘易斯·戴尔. 爱迪生的生平和发明.