(noun.) English chemist who was a pioneer in electrochemistry and who used it to isolate elements sodium and potassium and barium and boron and calcium and magnesium and chlorine (1778-1829).
n. the safety-lamp for coal-miners of Sir Humphry Davy (1778-1829).
- Davy was an eloquent, enthusiastic, forceful speaker. 鲁伯特·萨金特·荷兰. 历史性发明.
- I wonder, if she was to die, whether she'd leave Davy anything? 查尔斯·狄更斯. 大卫·科波菲尔.
- It was an ideal friendship, incomparably valuable for Davy. 鲁伯特·萨金特·荷兰. 历史性发明.
- It's Mas'r Davy! 查尔斯·狄更斯. 大卫·科波菲尔.
- In the following year Davy reported other chemical changes produced by electricity; he had succeeded in decomposing the fixed alkalis and disc overing the elements potassium and sodium. 李贝. 西洋科学史.
- He thought that if Davy had not been the first chemist he would have been the first poet of the age. 李贝. 西洋科学史.
- After much discussion they appointed a committee to call on Sir Humphrey Davy and ask him to investigate the possibilities for them. 鲁伯特·萨金特·荷兰. 历史性发明.
- Coleridge said, I attend Davy’s lectures to increase my stock of metaphors, and there were many others who went to hear the young chemist for other reasons than a liking for science. 鲁伯特·萨金特·荷兰. 历史性发明.
- The novelis t's tolerance of Davy's enthusiasm soon passed into a clear recognition of his commanding genius. 李贝. 西洋科学史.
- Davy had already made influential friends, and one of them, Dr. Hope, the professor of chemistry at the University of Edinburgh, was to give him his next step forward. 鲁伯特·萨金特·荷兰. 历史性发明.
- The owner of the house, Mr. Tonkin, was an old friend of the Davy family, and very fond of Humphrey, but the amateur experiments were almost too much for him. 鲁伯特·萨金特·荷兰. 历史性发明.
- Davy himself, in spite of his reputation as a chemist, placed this invention above all his other work. 鲁伯特·萨金特·荷兰. 历史性发明.
- And I'll take as much care of your mama, Davy. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 大卫·科波菲尔.
- My house ain't much for to see, sir, but it's hearty at your service if ever you should come along with Mas'r Davy to see it. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 大卫·科波菲尔.
- Davy dear--' 'Well, Ma. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 大卫·科波菲尔.
- Lucy was all exultation on being so honorably distinguished; and Miss Steele wanted only to be teazed about Dr. Davies to be perfectly happy. 简·奥斯汀. 理智与情感.
- Sheridan, thinking the enemy might turn off immediately towards Farmville, moved Davies's brigade of cavalry out to watch him. 尤利西斯·格兰特. U．S．格兰特的个人回忆录.
- There were at Corinth also Davies' division and two brigades of McArthur's, besides cavalry and artillery. 尤利西斯·格兰特. U．S．格兰特的个人回忆录.
- Davies found the movement had already commenced. 尤利西斯·格兰特. U．S．格兰特的个人回忆录.
- General Davies, whom I sent out to Painesville on their right flank, has just captured six pieces of artillery and some wagons. 尤利西斯·格兰特. U．S．格兰特的个人回忆录.