[wɪð'ɪn] or [wɪ'ðɪn]
(prep.) In the inner or interior part of; inside of; not without; as, within doors.
(prep.) In the limits or compass of; not further in length than; as, within five miles; not longer in time than; as, within an hour; not exceeding in quantity; as, expenses kept within one's income.
(prep.) Hence, inside the limits, reach, or influence of; not going outside of; not beyond, overstepping, exceeding, or the like.
(adv.) In the inner part; inwardly; internally.
(adv.) In the house; in doors; as, the master is within.
prep. . In the inside of, not without.. In the compass of, in the limits of, not beyond.. In the reach or influence of.
ad. . Inwardly, internally.. In doors, in the house, at home.
prep. in the inner part: inside: in the reach of: not going outside of.—adv. in the inner part: inwardly: at home.—Within call hail not too far to hear a call hail.
- Of the species which do change, only a few within the same country change at the same time; and all modifications are slowly effected. 查尔斯·达尔文. 物种起源.
- But practical sense told them that sex cannot be confined within marriage. 沃尔特·李普曼. 政治序论.
- Mrs. Bardell, the plaintiff in the action, is within these walls, Sir. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 匹克威克外传.
- Both the private father and the Father of the Marshalsea were strong within him then. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 小杜丽.
- The attack was made and many shots fell within the fort, creating some consternation, as we now know. 尤利西斯·格兰特. U．S．格兰特的个人回忆录.
- The Redan was within rifle-shot of the Malakoff; Inkerman was a mile away; and Balaklava removed but an hour's ride. 马克·吐温. 傻子出国记.
- I left Cairo within an hour or two after the receipt of this dispatch, going by rail via Indianapolis. 尤利西斯·格兰特. U．S．格兰特的个人回忆录.
- Edith Baxter was within thirty yards of the stables, when a man appeared out of the darkness and called to her to stop. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯回忆录.
- For an hour I have heard the sounds of conflict within the palace. 埃德加·赖斯·巴勒斯. 火星战神.
- But I don't say he don't refer to it within himself. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 双城记.
- On, on they came until Kerchak himself slunk stealthily to the very door and peered within. 埃德加·赖斯·巴勒斯. 人猿泰山.
- The important elevations within the line had all been carefully fortified and supplied with a proper armament. 尤利西斯·格兰特. U．S．格兰特的个人回忆录.
- Her lodgings were hard by; and they threaded through the crowd without, where everything seemed to be more astir than even in the ball-room within. 威廉·梅克比斯·萨克雷. 名利场.
- She began to envy those pirouetters, to hunger for the hope and happiness which the fascination of the dance seemed to engender within them. 托马斯·哈代. 还乡.
- Wonder was expressed over the blazing horseshoe that glowed within a pear-shaped globe. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.
- How many times have you opened the door for me within this last month? 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 维莱特.
- There, within easy reach of the rubber trees, they set up their camp and the actual work of harvesting the rubber crop begins. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.
- When the mighty luminary approached within a few degrees of the tempest-tossed horizon, suddenly, a wonder! 玛丽·雪莱. 最后一个人.
- A little way within the shop-door lay heaps of old crackled parchment scrolls and discoloured and dog's-eared law-papers. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.
- She was within. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 小杜丽.
- If a girl, doll or no doll, swoons within a yard or two of a man's nose, he can see it without a perspective-glass. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 双城记.
- Seashells when held to the ear seem to contain the roar of the sea; this is because the air within the shell is set into sympathetic vibrations by some external tone. 伯莎M.克拉克. 科学通论.
- Quietly she stole toward the entrance and glanced within. 埃德加·赖斯·巴勒斯. 火星战神.
- Wines, currants, and wrought silks, were the only goods which did not fall within this rule, having other and more advantageous allowances. 亚当·斯密. 国富论.
- They had been searching among the northern hordes, and only within the past few days had they extended their quest to the south. 埃德加·赖斯·巴勒斯. 火星公主.
- And it gained its point after all, for I saw it through the window within a few minutes, being nursed by little Jane. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 远大前程.
- Issus would wipe out your entire breed an' you ever came within sight of her temple. 埃德加·赖斯·巴勒斯. 火星战神.
- By dint of hard scrambling he finally straddled the top, but some loose stones crumbled away and fell with a crash into the court within. 马克·吐温. 傻子出国记.
- Byllesby and the late Luther Stieringer, was completed and in operation within six weeks after the placing of the order. 弗兰克·刘易斯·戴尔. 爱迪生的生平和发明.
- It is only necessary then to open one or the other of these latter to cause the appearance or disappearance or transformation of such objects as have been inclosed within it. 威廉K.戴维. 智者、化学家和伟大医生的秘密.