[kə'mɪtɪ] or [kə'mɪti]
(noun.) a special group delegated to consider some matter; 'a committee is a group that keeps minutes and loses hours' - Milton Berle.
(noun.) a self-constituted organization to promote something.
(n.) One or more persons elected or appointed, to whom any matter or business is referred, either by a legislative body, or by a court, or by any collective body of men acting together.
(v. t.) One to whom the charge of the person or estate of another, as of a lunatic, is committed by suitable authority; a guardian.
To dream of a committee, foretells that you will be surprised into doing some distasteful work. For one to wait on you, foretells some unfruitful labor will be assigned you.
- It was hard, when Karkov spoke, to remember with what importance he, Andr?Marty, came from the Central Committee of the French Communist Party. 欧内斯特·海明威. 丧钟为谁而鸣.
- There were bodies of constables with blue staves, twenty committee-men with blue scarfs, and a mob of voters with blue cockades. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 匹克威克外传.
- After much discussion they appointed a committee to call on Sir Humphrey Davy and ask him to investigate the possibilities for them. 鲁伯特·萨金特·荷兰. 历史性发明.
- When a National Committee puts a megaphone to a man's mouth and tells him to yell, it is difficult for him to hear anything. 沃尔特·李普曼. 政治序论.
- The ladies' committee-man, father, says Penelope. 威尔基·柯林斯. 月亮宝石.
- I think it was exhibited before a committee that had something to do with the Capitol. 弗兰克·刘易斯·戴尔. 爱迪生的生平和发明.
- My dear Mrs Veneering, do let us resolve ourselves into a Committee of the whole House on the subject. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 我们共同的朋友.
- He was permitted to set up his apparatus in the room of the House Committee on Commerce at the Capitol. 鲁伯特·萨金特·荷兰. 历史性发明.
- The Committee accordingly reported as follows:-- Sufficient evidence has been adduced to convince your Committee-- 1st. 弗雷德里克·科利尔·贝克维尔. 伟大的事实.
- Mr. Brooke re-entered the committee-room, saying, as carelessly as he could, This is a little too bad, you know. 乔治·艾略特. 米德尔马契.
- It was as if a committee of jungle deer had taken and killed a tiger--a crime against nature. 赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯. 世界史纲.
- Sir Leicester, in the library, has fallen asleep for the good of the country over the report of a Parliamentary committee. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.
- Had we seen the last of his angelic smile in the committee-room? 威尔基·柯林斯. 月亮宝石.
- Ah, yes: one of your secret committee, said Mrs. Cadwallader, provokingly. 乔治·艾略特. 米德尔马契.
- And he and t' other committee-men laid their plans. 伊丽莎白·盖斯凯尔. 南方与北方.
- Now, I am Chairwoman of Committees! 查尔斯·狄更斯. 我们共同的朋友.
- Its members were classed in the following committees: 1. 本杰明·富兰克林. 富兰克林自传.
- They threw themselves into committees in the most impassioned manner and collected subscriptions with a vehemence quite extraordinary. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.
- Keep your noble sentiments for your Ladies' Committees, Godfrey. 威尔基·柯林斯. 月亮宝石.
- During the morning, meetings were held and all manner of committees set to work on the celebration ceremonies. 马克·吐温. 傻子出国记.
- In the various agitations of vigilance committees and alliances for the suppression of the traffic they profess to see continued a work which the abolitionists began. 沃尔特·李普曼. 政治序论.