['fɒləʊɪŋ] or ['fɑloɪŋ]
(noun.) a group of followers or enthusiasts.
(adj.) immediately following in time or order; 'the following day'; 'next in line'; 'the next president'; 'the next item on the list' .
(adj.) going or proceeding or coming after in the same direction; 'the crowd of following cars made the occasion seem like a parade'; 'tried to outrun the following footsteps' .
(adj.) about to be mentioned or specified; 'the following items' .
(adj.) in the desired direction; 'a following wind' .
(p. pr. & vb. n.) of Follow
(n.) One's followers, adherents, or dependents, collectively.
(n.) Vocation; business; profession.
(a.) Next after; succeeding; ensuing; as, the assembly was held on the following day.
(a.) (In the field of a telescope) In the direction from which stars are apparently moving (in consequence of the earth's rotation); as, a small star, north following or south following. In the direction toward which stars appear to move is called preceding.
- Here I borrowed a horse from my uncle, and the following day we proceeded on our journey. 尤利西斯·格兰特. U．S．格兰特的个人回忆录.
- I cannot but in some sense admit the force of this reasoning, which I yet hope to traverse by the following considerations. 沃尔特·司各特. 艾凡赫.
- So on the following day they started north along the shore. 埃德加·赖斯·巴勒斯. 人猿泰山.
- All the following day the same scene continued. 玛丽·雪莱. 最后一个人.
- The following conclusions are drawn up chiefly from Gartner's admirable work on the hybridisation of plants. 查尔斯·达尔文. 物种起源.
- What with loss of sleep, arduous exercise, and a full belly, Tarzan of the Apes slept the sun around, awakening about noon of the following day. 埃德加·赖斯·巴勒斯. 人猿泰山.
- He tore off a strip of the blotting-paper and turned towards us the following hieroglyphic: GRAPHIC Cyril Overton was much excited. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯归来记.
- In following the final assembly line from the point where the chain conveyor engages the frame and axles, the visitor is impressed with the dispatch with which every movement is executed. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.
- The carriage was ready: they were bringing it round to the front, and my master was pacing the pavement, Pilot following him backwards and forwards. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 简·爱.
- In ordinary talk they might have passed unheeded; but following on her prolonged pause they acquired a special meaning. 伊迪丝·华顿. 快乐之家.
- On the 29th of January I arrived at Young's Point and assumed command the following day. 尤利西斯·格兰特. U．S．格兰特的个人回忆录.
- Again, let us see how the democratical man grows out of the oligarchical: the following, as I suspect, is commonly the process. 柏拉图. 理想国.
- Early only found that he had been following us when he ran against Hancock at Todd's Tavern. 尤利西斯·格兰特. U．S．格兰特的个人回忆录.
- Mr. Edison himself supplies the following data: During the electric-railway experiments at Menlo Park, we had a short spur of track up one of the steep gullies. 弗兰克·刘易斯·戴尔. 爱迪生的生平和发明.
- Dorothea was hurt by this movement following up the previous anger of his tone. 乔治·艾略特. 米德尔马契.