[sə'fɪʃ(ə)nt] or [sə'fɪʃnt]
(adj.) of a quantity that can fulfill a need or requirement but without being abundant; 'sufficient food' .
(a.) Equal to the end proposed; adequate to wants; enough; ample; competent; as, provision sufficient for the family; an army sufficient to defend the country.
(a.) Possessing adequate talents or accomplishments; of competent power or ability; qualified; fit.
(a.) Capable of meeting obligations; responsible.
(a.) Self-sufficient; self-satisfied; content.
a. . Adequate (to supply a want), ENOUGH, competent, ample, satisfactory.. Qualified, fit, able.
- As I had sufficient hopes of the will to be in a flutter about it, Allan and I agreed to go down to the court that morning. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.
- It is sufficient if every thing be compleat in the object itself. 戴维·休谟. 人性论.
- All this involved, no doubt, sufficient active exercise of pen and ink to make her daughter's part in the proceedings anything but a holiday. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.
- The interruption was not unseasonable: sufficient for the day is always the evil; for this hour, its good sufficed. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 维莱特.
- The above is sufficient for two pads, which should be made into an oblong or diamond shape, with linen or muslin, and worn over the pit of the stomach. 威廉K.戴维. 智者、化学家和伟大医生的秘密.
- He knew Rachael well, for a glance at any one of these groups was sufficient to show him that she was not there. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 艰难时事.
- But this, in my opinion, is not a sufficient reason for excluding them from the catalogue of virtues. 戴维·休谟. 人性论.
- Some fanatics among them, to be sure, held that one book, the Koran, was of itself sufficient to insure the well-being of the whole human race, but happily a more enlightened view prevailed. 李贝. 西洋科学史.
- It is not sufficient that the bottom be strong; the sides likewise must support their strain, and hence must be increased in strength with depth. 伯莎M.克拉克. 科学通论.
- He smiled, I must make on Miss Barkley the impression of a man of sufficient wealth. 欧内斯特·海明威. 永别了,武器.
- The draught is maintained by placing the apparatus on a couple of bricks, and regulated by closing the intervening space with mud, leaving only a sufficient aperture to keep the fire burning. 威廉K.戴维. 智者、化学家和伟大医生的秘密.
- I said, with withering irony, that it was sufficient to be skinned--I declined to be scalped. 马克·吐温. 傻子出国记.
- In one circumstance only even the entreaties of Rebecca were unable to secure sufficient attention to the accommodation of the wounded knight. 沃尔特·司各特. 艾凡赫.
- About 1/4 to 3/4 of an ounce per 50 gallons will be found sufficient for most wines. 威廉K.戴维. 智者、化学家和伟大医生的秘密.
- Add sufficient powdered talc to give the mass the necessary consistency. 威廉K.戴维. 智者、化学家和伟大医生的秘密.
- Tom had sat upon the bed, swinging one leg and sucking his walking-stick with sufficient unconcern, until the visit had attained this stage. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 艰难时事.
- It was an expression of her thoughts, and that was sufficient for Tarzan of the Apes. 埃德加·赖斯·巴勒斯. 人猿泰山.
- But all mines must be ventilated by forcing air through them with a fan, and this air must be in sufficient quantity to keep the percentage of gas below a dangerous standard. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.
- Although they spoke to each other in guarded tones, their words were pronounced with sufficient distinctness of utterance to reach my ears. 威尔基·柯林斯. 白衣女人.
- One example will be sufficient to convey to the reader an idea of the operation of the apparatus. 弗兰克·刘易斯·戴尔. 爱迪生的生平和发明.
- A sufficient interval having elapsed for the performers to resume their ordinary costume, they re-entered the dining-room. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 简·爱.
- This arose from the fact that, on account of the rapid succession of the electric impulses, there was not sufficient time between them for the electric action to cease entirely. 弗兰克·刘易斯·戴尔. 爱迪生的生平和发明.
- Many will exclaim that these several causes are amply sufficient to neutralise the power of natural selection. 查尔斯·达尔文. 物种起源.
- The object now is subjected to the blast, and as the sand will not penetrate a softened material sufficient to abrade a surface beneath, the exposed portions alone will be cut away. 威廉·亨利·杜利特. 世纪发明.
- The diamond, which is an allotropic form of carbon, has hitherto resisted attempts to reproduce it of sufficient size to have a commercial value. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.
- After sufficient cooling they are taken out and wiped with a piece of leather so that only a slight film of fat remains. 威廉K.戴维. 智者、化学家和伟大医生的秘密.
- But I do not see here a sufficient quantity of the wisdom that is necessary to produce such a conduct, and I lament the want of it. 本杰明·富兰克林. 富兰克林自传.
- As one operation of carding is not sufficient for most purposes the cotton is subjected to one or more successive cardings. 威廉·亨利·杜利特. 世纪发明.
- Her voice alone was sufficient testimony. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 雪莉.
- When I am here, I have sufficient possession of it and have neither trouble, cost, nor responsibility. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.