['evɪd(ə)ns] or ['ɛvɪdəns]
(noun.) your basis for belief or disbelief; knowledge on which to base belief; 'the evidence that smoking causes lung cancer is very compelling'.
(noun.) an indication that makes something evident; 'his trembling was evidence of his fear'.
(noun.) (law) all the means by which any alleged matter of fact whose truth is investigated at judicial trial is established or disproved.
(n.) That which makes evident or manifest; that which furnishes, or tends to furnish, proof; any mode of proof; the ground of belief or judgement; as, the evidence of our senses; evidence of the truth or falsehood of a statement.
(n.) One who bears witness.
(n.) That which is legally submitted to competent tribunal, as a means of ascertaining the truth of any alleged matter of fact under investigation before it; means of making proof; -- the latter, strictly speaking, not being synonymous with evidence, but rather the effect of it.
(v. t.) To render evident or clear; to prove; to evince; as, to evidence a fact, or the guilt of an offender.
n. Testimony, proof, ground of belief.
v. a. Prove, elucidate, demonstrate, show, manifest, evince, make manifest, make clear.
SYN:Manifestation, attraction, averment, testimony, deposition, declaration,appearance, sign, token, proof, indication, exemplification, illustration
ANT:Surmise, conjecture, counterevidence, disproof, refutation, concealment,suppression, misindication, fallacy
- The Swiss deposits contain clear evidence of such catastrophes. 赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯. 世界史纲.
- Mr. Batchelor's judgment and good sense were always in evidence. 弗兰克·刘易斯·戴尔. 爱迪生的生平和发明.
- End of Penelope's evidence--and very pretty and convincing, too. 威尔基·柯林斯. 月亮宝石.
- In the fewest words, the Sergeant showed them the evidence of the footmarks, and told them that a fatal accident must have happened to her. 威尔基·柯林斯. 月亮宝石.
- A wealth of evidence could be adduced to support this from the studies of dreams and fantasies made by the Freudian school of psychologists. 沃尔特·李普曼. 政治序论.
- We had evidence of that. 马克·吐温. 傻子出国记.
- No human evidence would ever have been able to persuade Martin Yorke that he blushed when thus addressed; yet blush he did, to the ears. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 雪莉.
- To say the least, this evidenced great ability and enterprise on the part of the youth. 弗兰克·刘易斯·戴尔. 爱迪生的生平和发明.
- This has been evidenced by the fact that in the United States alone nearly eleven thousand patents on ploughs were issued during the nineteenth century. 威廉·亨利·杜利特. 世纪发明.
- The idea of attributing great successes to genius has always been repudiated by Edison, as evidenced by his historic remark that Genius is 1 per cent. 弗兰克·刘易斯·戴尔. 爱迪生的生平和发明.
- But it lacked any agency for securing the development of its ideal as was evidenced in its falling back upon Nature. 约翰·杜威. 民主与教育.
- He must have been, however, a man of originality, as evidenced by his attempt to age whiskey by electricity, an attempt that has often since been made. 弗兰克·刘易斯·戴尔. 爱迪生的生平和发明.
- That these early attempts were all unsuccessful is evidenced by the fact that at the great World’s Fair in London in 1851, the United Kingdom could not present a single reaping machine. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.
- Johnson, the latter made allusion to Edison's genius as evidenced by some of his achievements, when Edison replied: Stuff! 弗兰克·刘易斯·戴尔. 爱迪生的生平和发明.
- In consequence of this law, when Memphis was occupied the provost-marshal had forcibly collected all the evidences he could obtain of such debts. 尤利西斯·格兰特. U．S．格兰特的个人回忆录.
- We have had the vague consciousness of assisting at a great development whose evidences to-day on every hand attest its magnitude. 弗兰克·刘易斯·戴尔. 爱迪生的生平和发明.
- Again and again they have given evidences of goodwill. 赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯. 世界史纲.
- This I reached about morning and entering the first enclosure I came to I searched for some evidences of a habitation. 埃德加·赖斯·巴勒斯. 火星公主.
- Their thoats were found wandering upon the sea bottom and evidences of a bloody conflict were discovered nearby. 埃德加·赖斯·巴勒斯. 火星公主.
- Nothing, indeed, thought I, as I struggled to repress a sob, and hastily wiped away some tears, the impotent evidences of my anguish. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 简·爱.
- Opening it they found a crude message printed almost illegibly, and with many evidences of an unaccustomed task. 埃德加·赖斯·巴勒斯. 人猿泰山.
- To this self-evidencing knowledge of the whole the faculty of mind is supposed to correspond. 柏拉图. 理想国.