['veərɪd] or ['vɛrɪd]
(adj.) broken away from sameness or identity or duplication; 'her quickly varied answers indicated uncertainty' .
(adj.) widely different; 'varied motives prompt people to join a political party'; 'varied ethnic traditions of the immigrants' .
(adj.) characterized by variety; 'immigrants' varied ethnic and religious traditions'; 'his work is interesting and varied' .
(a.) Changed; altered; various; diversified; as, a varied experience; varied interests; varied scenery.
(imp. & p. p.) of Vary
- The reactions were all varied in various people, but they followed a few great laws, and intrinsically there was no difference. 戴维·赫伯特·劳伦斯. 恋爱中的女人.
- If, then, it varied, natural selection would probably favour different varieties in the different islands. 查尔斯·达尔文. 物种起源.
- The same Signor Jupe was to 'enliven the varied performances at frequent intervals with his chaste Shaksperean quips and retorts. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 艰难时事.
- In his place has come the factory hand, nearly all footwear being now a product of machinery, and this of greatly varied and effective character. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.
- Not in one case out of a hundred can we pretend to assign any reason why this or that part has varied. 查尔斯·达尔文. 物种起源.
- It must, however, be admitted that in many instances we cannot conjecture whether it was instinct or structure which first varied. 查尔斯·达尔文. 物种起源.
- His love never varied the least in the world, nor did we ever quarrel. 哈里特·威尔逊. 哈里特·威尔逊回忆录.
- Above all, the intellectual element in a habit fixes the relation of the habit to varied and elastic use, and hence to continued growth. 约翰·杜威. 民主与教育.
- In tea and distilled spirits there has been a decrease, while the consumption of wines is the smallest of all and has varied but little. Edward W. Byrn. 十九世纪发明进展.
- The varied and complex machining required on armor plate demands tools of enormous size and strength as well as varied purpose. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.
- My sister had a trenchant way of cutting our bread and butter for us, that never varied. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 远大前程.
- They were known under the varied names of bombards, serpentines, etc. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.
- The human body is a much more varied and complex machine than any ever devised by man; personal peculiarities, as well as fuel values, influence very largely the diet of an individual. 伯莎M.克拉克. 科学通论.
- The number of rollers and cylinders and the position and the length of the process to fully dry, compact, stretch and finish the sheet, may be, and are, varied greatly. 威廉·亨利·杜利特. 世纪发明.
- It was essential to have a multitude of plates of bread and butter, varied in sorts and plentiful in quantity. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 雪莉.
- The symbols are thus made by deviations from the straight line, of different lengths and of varied combinations. 弗雷德里克·科利尔·贝克维尔. 伟大的事实.
- How numerous and varied are the interests which are consciously shared? 约翰·杜威. 民主与教育.
- A little suggestion to the police that they send home children found on the streets after nine o'clock has varied possibilities. 沃尔特·李普曼. 政治序论.
- For I was ashamed to ask and she is of such great and varied wisdom. 欧内斯特·海明威. 丧钟为谁而鸣.
- The bank of England generally advances at an interest, which, since the Revolution, has varied from eight to three per cent. 亚当·斯密. 国富论.
- It seemed at first an accidental division, but it never materially varied. 简·奥斯汀. 爱玛.
- The sound-waves impinging upon the distant transmitter varied the resistance of the carbon button therein, thus causing corresponding variations in the strength of the battery current. 弗兰克·刘易斯·戴尔. 爱迪生的生平和发明.
- This is done by a range of machines, which perform the varied operations with wonderful rapidity and accuracy. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.
- How shall it be full and varied without losing unity of spirit? 约翰·杜威. 民主与教育.
- Then came the hours of suspense, during which she vibrated from parlor to porch, while public opinion varied like the weathercock. 路易莎·梅·奥尔科特. 小妇人.
- All day a stream of pennies, varied by silver, poured in upon me, and it was a very bad day in which I failed to take 2 pounds. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯历险记.
- With these conductors and pipes must also be furnished manholes, junction-boxes, connections, and a host of varied paraphernalia insuring perfect general distribution. 弗兰克·刘易斯·戴尔. 爱迪生的生平和发明.
- Antony gave way to much mournful posturing, varied by love scenes, during this last stage of his little drama. 赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯. 世界史纲.
- If it were attempted to offer here a detailed explanation of the varied and numerous operations of the quadruplex, this article would assume the proportions of a treatise. 弗兰克·刘易斯·戴尔. 爱迪生的生平和发明.
- Both in ancient and modern times the styles of shoes worn have varied greatly, fashion taking hold of them. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.