(adj.) appropriate to the beginning or start of an event; 'the starting point'; 'hands in the starting position' .
(adj.) (especially of eyes) bulging or protruding as with fear; 'with eyes starting from their sockets' .
(p. pr. & vb. n.) of Start
(-) a. & n. from Start, v.
- It ended in my moving into the house next Lady-day, and starting in practice on very much the same conditions as he had suggested. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯回忆录.
- Sam put a few necessaries in a carpet-bag, and was ready for starting. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 匹克威克外传.
- Only by starting with crude material and subjecting it to purposeful handling will he gain the intelligence embodied in finished material. 约翰·杜威. 民主与教育.
- But the incident is an admirable starting-point for an investigation. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯归来记.
- I know because I've felt it starting to go three times now and I've held it. 欧内斯特·海明威. 丧钟为谁而鸣.
- I wish they would come right now because the leg is starting to hurt now. 欧内斯特·海明威. 丧钟为谁而鸣.
- My eyes were bloodshot, starting from my head; every artery beat, methought, audibly, every muscle throbbed, each single nerve felt. 玛丽·雪莱. 最后一个人.
- But worth notice at starting, because we may find occasion to refer to this modest little Indian organisation as we go on. 威尔基·柯林斯. 月亮宝石.
- But the method was a good starting-point, even if it did not indicate the real path. 弗兰克·刘易斯·戴尔. 爱迪生的生平和发明.
- Then, amid cheers of encouragement from the immense throng that was watching, he turned sharply past the starting-tower and flew between the flags that marked the starting-line. 鲁伯特·萨金特·荷兰. 历史性发明.
- The time of starting was not definitely arranged, but it was thought all would be ready by the 6th of December, if not before. 尤利西斯·格兰特. U．S．格兰特的个人回忆录.
- I succeeded to his connection, and had every reason to feel grateful for the prospect that awaited me at my starting in life. 威尔基·柯林斯. 白衣女人.
- To that had life progressed 3000 or 4000 years ago from its starting-place in the slime of the tidal beaches. 赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯. 世界史纲.
- Go on, sir, go on, the old gentleman said, his eyes starting out of his head. 威廉·梅克比斯·萨克雷. 名利场.
- Mr. Taylor, Mr. Wright’s mechanic, got out the machine and it was placed on the starting-rail. 鲁伯特·萨金特·荷兰. 历史性发明.