[rɪ'plaɪ] or [rɪ'plai]
(noun.) the speech act of continuing a conversational exchange; 'he growled his reply'.
(v. i.) To make a return in words or writing; to respond; to answer.
(v. i.) To answer a defendant's plea.
(v. i.) Figuratively, to do something in return for something done; as, to reply to a signal; to reply to the fire of a battery.
(v. t.) To return for an answer.
(v. i.) That which is said, written, or done in answer to what is said, written, or done by another; an answer; a response.
v. n. Answer (especially to confute or disprove an assertion), respond, REJOIN.
n. Answer, response, replication, REJOINDER.
SYN:Answer, rejoinder, response, replication
SYN:Replicate, answer, respond, rejoin
ANT:Ignore, drop, pretermit, pass, disregard
v.t. to fold back: to answer.—v.i. to make response: to meet an attack as to reply to the enemy's fire—(law) to a defendant's plea.—n. an answer: the power of answering: a counter-attack: (mus.) the answer of a figure.—ns. Rep′licant; Replicā′tion a reply: repetition: (law) the plaintiff's answer to a plea.—adj. Replicā′tive.
- He made that brief reply warmly, dropping his hand on the table while he spoke, and turning towards us again. 威尔基·柯林斯. 白衣女人.
- Reply: I fancy, though we never met, that you and I are in fact acquainted, and understand each other perfectly. 哈里特·威尔逊. 哈里特·威尔逊回忆录.
- He lost the genial suavity of manner which is one of his greatest charMs. A noble indignation inspired his reply. 威尔基·柯林斯. 月亮宝石.
- I asked first if Sir Percival was at the Park, and receiving a reply in the negative, inquired next when he had left it. 威尔基·柯林斯. 白衣女人.
- Here is his reply: 'The most dangerous crook in Chicago. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯归来记.
- There could be but one suitable reply to your assertion, Mr. Clayton, she said icily, and I regret that I am not a man, that I might make it. 埃德加·赖斯·巴勒斯. 人猿泰山.
- Helena blushed at this, but, purposely misunderstanding the hint, made demure reply. 弗格斯·休姆. 奇幻岛.
- In both, as I should imagine, he replied. 柏拉图. 理想国.
- We must begin, for Laura's sake, where there is the best chance of success, I replied. 威尔基·柯林斯. 白衣女人.
- Hush, hush, ma'am; pray keep yourself quiet,' replied the bodyguard. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 匹克威克外传.
- We should lose no time, Prince, replied Kantos Kan. 埃德加·赖斯·巴勒斯. 火星战神.
- I am,' replied Mr. Pickwick. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 匹克威克外传.
- No help for it,' replied that truly great man. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 匹克威克外传.
- I've heard him say he's a capital one,' replied Mr. Pickwick, 'but I never saw him aim at anything. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 匹克威克外传.
- Mr. George, still composedly smoking, replies, If I had, I shouldn't trouble them. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.
- In sudden low spirits, Twemlow replies, 'I don't think he would. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 我们共同的朋友.
- Nothing that YOU would call anything has been done to-day, replies Mr. Tulkinghorn. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.
- Mr. Guppy replies, Jobling, we have. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.
- Their replies did not encourage him. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.
- I promise you truthful replies. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 雪莉.
- I shall be guided, replies George, entirely by it. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.
- It is Jarvis Lorry who has alighted and stands with his hand on the coach door, replying to a group of officials. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 双城记.
- And on my replying yes, she said, Will my room be required, my dear Miss Summerson? 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.
- That feline personage, with her lips tightly shut and her eyes looking out at him sideways, softly closes the door before replying. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.
- Criticism and argument were again at their height, while Upton, as Edison's duellist, was kept busy replying to private and public challenges of the fact. 弗兰克·刘易斯·戴尔. 爱迪生的生平和发明.
- Name your own day, said Lord Hertford; to-morrow if you please; but come you muSt. It shall be to-morrow, then, said Amy, replying for us all. 哈里特·威尔逊. 哈里特·威尔逊回忆录.
- He threw me into the greatest confusion by laughing heartily and replying in a very sprightly manner, No, to be sure; you're right. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 远大前程.
- He sums up his mental condition when asked a question by replying that he don't know nothink. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.