(adj.) of the relatively near future; 'the approaching election'; 'this coming Thursday'; 'the forthcoming holidays'; 'the upcoming spring fashions' .
(p. pr. & vb. n.) of Approach
(n.) The act of ingrafting a sprig or shoot of one tree into another, without cutting it from the parent stock; -- called, also, inarching and grafting by approach.
- That depends,' said Mrs. Bardell, approaching the duster very near to Mr. Pickwick's elbow which was planted on the table. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 匹克威克外传.
- On account of your approaching marriage with her? 托马斯·哈代. 还乡.
- The march, now, had to be made with great caution, for he was approaching Lee's army and nearing the country that still remained open to the enemy. 尤利西斯·格兰特. U．S．格兰特的个人回忆录.
- It was not, however, till the invention of telegraphs that anything approaching to the means of holding regular communication by signals was attained. 弗雷德里克·科利尔·贝克维尔. 伟大的事实.
- A post-chaise was approaching. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 简·爱.
- You are very diligent at that sewing, Miss Caroline, continued the girl, approaching her little table. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 雪莉.
- Before giving him any order as to the part he was to play in the approaching campaign I invited his views. 尤利西斯·格兰特. U．S．格兰特的个人回忆录.
- With this idea in her head, she hailed an approaching omnibus with such a hasty gesture that the daisies flew out of the pot and were badly damaged. 路易莎·梅·奥尔科特. 小妇人.
- Approaching nearer and nearer, the bargeman became Bradley Headstone, in rough water-side second-hand clothing. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 我们共同的朋友.
- On approaching nearer, Bella discerned that the refection had the appearance of a small cottage-loaf and a pennyworth of milk. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 我们共同的朋友.
- They were just approaching the house where lived Mrs. and Miss Bates. 简·奥斯汀. 爱玛.
- Their quick ears caught the sound of an approaching footstep. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 雾都孤儿.
- But the more beautiful and winning and charming she, the nearer they must always be to the necessity of approaching it. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 小杜丽.
- There were no servants present, and the gentlemen, with chairs closely approaching, seemed to be discussing some subject with great earnestness. 哈丽叶特·比切·斯托. 汤姆叔叔的小屋.
- We had better lose no time in beginning then, said Maurice, who was looking at the approaching enemy, for here come the dancers. 弗格斯·休姆. 奇幻岛.