[kəm'pəʊzd] or [kəm'pozd]
(adj.) serenely self-possessed and free from agitation especially in times of stress; 'the performer seemed completely composed as she stepped onto the stage'; 'I felt calm and more composed than I had in a long time' .
(imp. & p. p.) of Compose
(a.) Free from agitation; calm; sedate; quiet; tranquil; self-possessed.
a. Calm, quiet, unruffled, undisturbed, unmoved, tranquil, placid, sedate, collected, imperturbable, cool.
- Somewhat as a house is composed of a group of bricks, or a sand heap of grains of sand, the human body is composed of small divisions called cells. 伯莎M.克拉克. 科学通论.
- When I spoke again I was composed enough to treat his impertinence with the silent contempt that it deserved. 威尔基·柯林斯. 白衣女人.
- The councils, which, in the colony legislatures, correspond to the house of lords in Great Britain, are not composed of a hereditary nobility. 亚当·斯密. 国富论.
- Although carbon dioxide is very injurious to health, both of the substances of which it is composed are necessary to life. 伯莎M.克拉克. 科学通论.
- If the atmosphere were composed of oxygen alone, the merest flicker of a match would set the whole world ablaze. 伯莎M.克拉克. 科学通论.
- Why should the brain be enclosed in a box composed of such numerous and such extraordinarily shaped pieces of bone apparently representing vertebrae? 查尔斯·达尔文. 物种起源.
- She was soon in the room, and recommended that Arthur, whom she had left calm and composed, should not be visited that night. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 小杜丽.
- She felt as if the spring would not pass without bringing a crisis, an event, a something to alter her present composed and tranquil state. 简·奥斯汀. 爱玛.
- There was no promise of a speedy departure in his composed bearing and his comfortable attitude. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯归来记.
- Soon after, Mrs. Reed grew more composed, and sank into a dozing state. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 简·爱.
- The universe is composed of impressions, ideas, pleasures and pains! 李贝. 西洋科学史.
- The quarters were small, the staff was composed of two men, and the entire work was confined to making photographs of the cars and parts for advertising literature. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.
- Mrs Boffin will be very well pleased,' said the Secretary in a perfectly composed way. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 我们共同的朋友.
- I had some years before composed a little liturgy or form of prayer for my own private use (viz. 本杰明·富兰克林. 富兰克林自传.
- They recited the verses which they had composed, to celebrate his valour and his victories. 赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯. 世界史纲.
- It is composed of pure copper, 100 parts; pure tin, 17 parts; magnesia, 6 parts; tartar of commerce, 9 parts; sal-ammoniac, 3. 威廉K.戴维. 智者、化学家和伟大医生的秘密.
- The metal underlying the silver plate of the best plated teaspoons is of nickel silver, a trade name for a metal composed of nickel, copper and zinc. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.
- Instead of fluttering, it had composed me, to hear of the errand on which he had gone out. 威尔基·柯林斯. 白衣女人.
- She composed herself as if to slumber. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 维莱特.
- Mr. Woodhouse soon followed; and the necessity of exertion made him composed. 简·奥斯汀. 爱玛.
- Having now composed his mind for slumber, he turned homeward. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 我们共同的朋友.
- Your good lady is quite composed. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 小杜丽.
- It was seen that the volunteers of the Mexican war largely composed the pioneers to settle up the Pacific coast country. 尤利西斯·格兰特. U．S．格兰特的个人回忆录.
- The maniac became composed; his person rose higher; authority beamed from his countenance. 玛丽·雪莱. 最后一个人.
- Mr. Pickwick drew the silk handkerchief once more over his head, And composed himself for a nap. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 匹克威克外传.
- Mother, says the trooper when they are more composed, forgive me first of all, for I know my need of it. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.
- The walls were smooth and appeared to be composed of a black, basaltic rock. 埃德加·赖斯·巴勒斯. 火星战神.
- It was a brigade composed of six full regiments commanded by Colonel Thayer, of Nebraska. 尤利西斯·格兰特. U．S．格兰特的个人回忆录.
- In Fig. 64 is shown a modification of the Planté type of storage battery, composed of a series of plates shown on the left. Edward W. Byrn. 十九世纪发明进展.
- It sent the most insurrectionary tune into the world that was ever composed. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 小杜丽.