(noun.) an athletic competition that involves diving into water.
(p. pr. & vb. n.) of Dive
(a.) That dives or is used or diving.
n. the action of the verb to dive.—adj. that dives.
To dream of diving in clear water, denotes a favorable termination of some embarrassment. If the water is muddy, you will suffer anxiety at the turn your affairs seem to be taking. To see others diving, indicates pleasant companions. For lovers to dream of diving, denotes the consummation of happy dreams and passionate love.
- Diving into the dense obscurity in a line headed by Sam the turf-cutter, they pursued their trackless way home. 托马斯·哈代. 还乡.
- Diving bells have been made of various forms, more especially in that of a bell or hollow truncated cone, with the smaller end closed, and the larger one, which is placed lowermost, open. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.
- There were other devices for diving or rising to the surface. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.
- The diving case is not absolutely water-tight, nor is it desired that it should be so, as the slight leakage acts as a lubricant to the joints, and aids in their movements. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.
- In the mean time, Wemmick was diving into his coat-pockets, and getting something out of paper there. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 远大前程.
- I could go on diving, of course--not much, though--and not much use--' He moved away barefoot, on the planks of the platform. 戴维·赫伯特·劳伦斯. 恋爱中的女人.
- It was like coming to the surface of the water after deep diving, to find myself once more on the outside of Mr. Fairlie's room. 威尔基·柯林斯. 白衣女人.
- Diving, aside from the pleasure afforded to good swimmers, is important in many different industries, particularly in fishing for pearls, corals, sponges, etc. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.
- If such a condition as failure of the pump to work for ten minutes had arisen during a descent in the old elastic diving dress the result must necessarily have been fatal. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.
- In many cases men work in diving suits rather than in caissons; these suits are made of rubber except for the head piece, which is of metal provided with transparent eyepieces. 伯莎M.克拉克. 科学通论.
- It must lie in water so deep as that you cannot reach it to take it up but by diving for it. 本杰明·富兰克林. 富兰克林自传.
- The type of these vessels was what became known as the diving. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.
- Various methods have been proposed and engines contrived to render diving more safe and easy. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.
- Diving bells have been used very effectively. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.
- At the back of the diving case is a recess and in it is installed a compact but powerful pump, which sucks from the feet of the suit all leakage and forces it at once outward. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.