['æntɪ] or ['æntaɪ]
(noun.) a person who is opposed (to an action or policy or practice etc.); 'the antis smelled victory after a long battle'.
(adj.) not in favor of (an action or proposal etc.) .
(-) A prefix meaning against, opposite or opposed to, contrary, or in place of; -- used in composition in many English words. It is often shortened to ant-; as, antacid, antarctic.
pfx. against in opposition to rivalling simulating. It forms numerous derivatives alike nouns and adjectives as antichrist antipope anticlimax anti-tobacconist; anti-Ritualistic anti-Semite.
- And the anti-Christian German philosopher, Nietzsche, found himself quite at one with the pious field-marshal. 赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯. 世界史纲.
- Gibbon, because of his anti-Christian animus, is hostile to Constantine; but he admits that he was temperate and chaste. 赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯. 世界史纲.
- In some sections more anti-slavery men belonged to the Democratic party, and in others to the Whigs. 尤利西斯·格兰特. U．S．格兰特的个人回忆录.
- These are anti-tanks. 欧内斯特·海明威. 丧钟为谁而鸣.
- Various other anti-septic agents are used and combined in different ways, according to the results of experiments. 威廉K.戴维. 智者、化学家和伟大医生的秘密.
- Anti-porochial weather this, ma'am. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 雾都孤儿.
- For fear that somebody may regard this as a play on words drawn from some ultra-modern anti-intellectualist source, let me quote Santayana. 沃尔特·李普曼. 政治序论.
- These are anti-aircraft, two wheels with the gun barrel slanted up. 欧内斯特·海明威. 丧钟为谁而鸣.
- No I am an anti-fascist. 欧内斯特·海明威. 丧钟为谁而鸣.
- Pardon me,' returns Lightwood, 'I must postpone the reply for one moment, or we shall have an anti-climax. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 我们共同的朋友.
- This is the level of culture at which Sherman Anti-Trust acts are passed, brothels are raided, and labor agitators are thrown into jail. 沃尔特·李普曼. 政治序论.
- Of all the anti-septic agents used for the purposes mentioned boracic acid is the favorite, and salicylic acid next in choice. 威廉K.戴维. 智者、化学家和伟大医生的秘密.
- Lubricants of all kinds had been and are used; but Babbitt's invention was an anti-friction metal. 威廉·亨利·杜利特. 世纪发明.
- It is anti-creation, like monkeys and baboons. 戴维·赫伯特·劳伦斯. 恋爱中的女人.
- A breeze came in the night and we heard the men of the anti-aircraft gun on the next roof talking. 欧内斯特·海明威. 永别了,武器.